• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing hubs on m135 face loads

lookinforstuff

m211,im new to the gm 2.5 ton axle, and currently workin on tryin to replace the axle seals, and goin thru the brakes, where im stuck at is how to pull the hole hub off, so any help and anything i should would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited:

badgmc56

Hello, Welcome to the site. The TM9-1819AC manual covers the whole process. If you want to PM me I will scan it for you and send it. It is a very good idea to get the manuals for these trucks because they are unique in certain areas. The manuals cover everything from removing an engine to installing the cab top.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Take off the wheel. 2. Remove the flange nuts. 3. Beat on the end of the axle with a big hammer until the little drive cones come loose. 4. Remove them using a screwdriver to split them open a bit. 5. Pull axle shaft or flange out. 6. Oil runs on floor. 7. Unscrew the wheel bearing nuts with the proper wrench or a chisel. 8. Remove hub. 9. Remove brake shoes. 10. Remove 2 wheel cylinders and discard, they are pitted and not rebuildable 99% of the time. 11. Clean everything using varsol. 12. Install new wheel cylinders from Niagara Military Parts or other vendor 13. Repack bearings and reinstall in hub using new seals. 14. Reassemble everything. Takes about 2 hours per wheel end. If you are rebuilding the entire brake system, use DOT 5 silicone fluid, and your hyd system will last at least 25 years, it has in my M135.

nattieleather

Try a bigger hammer like a 20 lbs sledge. I'm not kidding...there are tapered cones that wedge the thing on and the sledge will "bounce" the axle flange loose.

butch atkins

first thing you need to do is get TM 9-8024 ,operator maintainance manual,2nd thing,if the hubs have been painted over multiple times like most mvs have,the tapered dowels ,as the TM refers to them as,have a ring of paint built up around them,take off the nuts and use a small screwdriver to chip the paint loose around the dowels,dont drive a screwdriver in them at this point as you will only compound the problem by forcing them into the hub flange,after you take nuts,chip paint ,pressure wash or use air hose to blow off residue,douch e them with WD-40,and then fix yourself a cup of coffee,wait and then bump them with a,hammer.highly recommend you get the proper manuals fort this truck.Also VERY IMPORTANT ,the 4 rear axles have a small cork seal in the keyway on the rear axle housing ,these should be replaced ,because if you dont the 90 wt gear lube in the differentials will wash the grease out of the axle bearings,resulting in failed bearigs,and an expensive fix,do yourself a favor and get the manuals.and, READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING,good luck and keep posting,help and knowledge is only a post away

lookinforstuff

alrite got the axle out:-D now im lookin for manuals, but till then tell me more about this cork seal, is it rite there near the end of the axle or farther in, also were to get new ones:?:

butch atkins

cork seals for axles

Memphis Equipment sells them,they are called Adjusting Nut Oil Seal,they are made of cork and they go inthe keyway that is cut into the axle hosing ,the seal goes between the inner and outer wheel bearing adjusting nuts in the keyway,the part # is 7411428,and you just put it in the keyway and adjust the wheel bearing nuts to the proper running clearance,and the cork seal forms to the threads on the nuts and seals the oil off of the bearings,i Memphis Equipment catalog it is shown on page 36 of thier GMC 2 1/2 ton Mseries catalog,they will know what you are talking about when you tell them it is for the GMC,i ordered16 of them at $1.00 each,if you have to go into the bearings again for any reason you need to replace this seal,it is cheap insurance against bearing failure due to 90wt gear oil washing off the grease on the bearings,would try to send pics but amon dial up modem :oops:,memphis equip tel # 901-774-0600,good luck keep posting,hope this helps

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you're about to be a GMC expert, if you call the GMC axle a "banjo" everyone will think you are an old hand at this. Sometime during WWII or maybe before, the GMC "corporate" axle with the tick-tac-toe cover was nicknamed that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks