• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reo 331 Gasser Deuce - What To Look For?

SasquatchSanta

Hello,

A friend told me today about what he believes to be a good running early 50s Reo deuce that might be for sale. He knows the owner, says it was used in the woods and has a loader mounted on the back. The engine (331 Reo) was rebuilt not many hours ago and the body is in good condition. It has a hardtop, no winch and no bed. The owner retired it when he bought a bigger truck.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what to look for, what to lookout for and what to expect to pay for a truck like this with good rubber that is driveable.

I would need a bed but asume (???) a conventional deuce bed would work???

Also, are parts, including tune up parts still readily available for the Reos?

Sorry about not having any pictures --- perhaps in a few days.

Much Obliged,

jatonka

Hey Ernie, How's the winter up there? The gasser should cost you about $350 to $750 without a back body and in turning over condition. With no winch and poor tires. The tuneup kits are available from Adirondackdodgeparts.com and Memphis Equipment. They are a real nice addition to anyone's collection and they start in the cold weather! JT out

ems4ty

I've got a 53' Reo with a OA331 gasser myself. I paid about $3,500 for my truck. Running condition, fair/dry rotting tires, running condition with no cab cover and a new rear cargo cover and also a winch that works. My leaks a bit of fluids and I'm constantly messing with. So far, it runs decent. I get a lot of parts from Saturn Surplus and my local scrap yard. Memphis and Adirondack have lots of parts for this truck as well. Memphis is a bit on the pricey side though. Overall, I'm fairly happy with it.

Tyler

SasquatchSanta

Thks for the insight guys. I've been lusting after a reo gasser for several months. Hopefully this will work out. I'm thinking about selling a bunch (all) of my M37 stuff and switching over to all M35s. What the heck --- if you're gonna play with the pros you gotta bring your Mickey Mantle bat.

Jonh T--- Concernng the winter --- The Drudge Report featured an article today saying it was 40 below this morning in Frost-Bite-Falls (International Falls). I don't know how cold it was here but someone said it was so cold last night that the northern lights flickered and went out. All I know is that I've been taking yodeling lessons and lately it's been too cold to yodle. :)

citizensoldier

I purchased a truck that sounds like what you are looking at Sas.. I paid $480 out the door. It runs real good. One thing to check at least on mine the exhaust manifold is cracked in two places.. So maybe this is a problem with them.. I have also found allot of NOS parts for them on ebay and the above mentioned suppliers... Mine is a 52 Curtiss Wright though and I have been told they are rare.. I kind of like the gassers.. Its a big M37 feel.. Oh and the sprag on mine does not work.. Most of them are still sprags so remember that when test driving it.. Likes to pop out of reverse too...

neil2007

Re: RE: pics

SasquatchSanta said:
Thanks Citizen Soldier,

It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one in the SS universe that owns a Red M35.
You're DEFINITELY NOT ALONE! BTW, I should clarify that even more... Definitely not the only one in the SS universe that owns a Red M35 (44) AND a Willy's CJ2A!!! ( The racing stripes are to help it go faster in the goey sticky Indiana mud!)

(Haven't posted any pics lately... so here ya go!)

Enjoy!!!

Neil

Attachments

citizensoldier

Re: RE: pics

SasquatchSanta said:
Thanks Citizen Soldier,

It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one in the SS universe that owns a red M35.
hehehehe. Well I sold the tank off of it right away therefore reducing the red in my yard.. and was going to make it a bobbed deuce.. After finding out about its rarety and it is very complete under the hood I decided to save it and I will chop a GL special instead. Whatever fire department that put the tank on it did a nice job.. They unhooked all the wiring and nicely taped it all up under the frame. After unrapping it its like new. Its so strange to be in a deuce and here yourself think. I managed to find some M135 rims and a nice M135 bed so now its on the drawing board to become a M34.. But we shall see.
Post some pictures of this truck when you can and please add my name to the top of the list for any M37's or parts you decide to unload. You are within my realm of parts pick up... Plus I have family in MN I would like to visit.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: pics

I'm trying to think of Gasser stuff to tell you about that is different from M35 stuff to look for and that is not normal old vehicle stuff.

So, not counting brakes, anything rubber, fuel tank, fuel lines and fuel pump. I really can't seperate out much that I have come across that is a specific Gasser problem except the wiring. Cloth covered and Douglas fittings that are rusted together. That has been my biggest headache Gasser specific. I would say if you have your M37 running, then you know about a MIL distirbutor, wires and plugs. You also know about carbs that don't look like carbs, but work just like any other ones you have ever touched once you get past all the vent and vacuum lines.

Remember, direct drive 5th gear and CV joint Rockwells are the main differences in the drive train behind the engine.

Franks Surplus also has a lot of the tune up consumable stuff like points, condensor, etc..

The biggest thing in my mind is the manuals. You need to find 1965 or older ones. Some of them are in the TM section here. I have found the 9-8022 to be what I refer to first. It is a combination -10 and -20 in one.

Hope this helps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: pics

That Utica Bend would sure look good in place of this semi trailer in my side yard. BTW, I have removed the A/C and heaters. The A/C has anchors for slingpoints. What does that tell you about the A/C?

citizensoldier

Re: RE: Re: RE: pics

Recovry4x4 said:
That Utica Bend would sure look good in place of this semi trailer in my side yard. BTW, I have removed the A/C and heaters. The A/C has anchors for slingpoints. What does that tell you about the A/C?
Its heavy!! :D I loaded one at a show once.. It was a 2 1/2 man job.. I was the half.. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks