• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repair panel HELP!!!!

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Ok here is the problem-- I have my '85 M1009 in the shop to get some rust repair done, namely the rocker panels and the adjacent drain channel that is under the sill plate in the doorway ... LMC truck did not show a repair panel for just the drain channel but rather shows it as a part of their front and rear cab floor sections. I ordered both and the panels are the biggest load of chinese-made *crap* I have ever seen (The drain channels on the front and rear cab floor sections are two different sizes and do not line up). The only LMC part that lines up somewhat is the outer rocker panel. What I need is a source for the drain channel that runs the length of the doorway between the cab floor and the rocker. What is everyones' take on this-- where can I get decent panels that will actually fit in the truck -- as a side note, I prefer American made parts and will pay extra for them, but at this point will take anything that will actually line up......

thanks

Ziggy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM? ask some local bodyshops?

galeo7171

mine was the same way. What I did is took it to the line-x dealership where he sanded it down, formed the channel with metal tape then sprayed linex over it. You can't even tell where it did the tape! It looks great and was much cheaper and easier than replacement panels!

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello again,

Well, the truck is currently sitting in one of the local body shops (which, incidentally, gave me the list of parts to order from LMC-- the shop was very apologetic and I realize it was no their fault -- but the owner ad I are at a loss as to where decent panels can be found)....... I wish the Linex route were that easy but the whole channel is rotted on mine-- to the point that the front floor can really flex since it has no solid attachment along the length of the rocker...................

Ziggy

OLDCHEV4X4

The trough i do belive is for wires running to the rear interior. Civi Blazers need them. And it also makes a lip for the door gasket. When i had to do the rockers on a Blazer, i bent some sheet metal on the brake . It was shaped sorta like a straitened out Z.
The USA made body pannels are hard to find. I have bought USA pannels from one company and the next time i bought them they were made in China. Its a crap shoot.
I think the body shop should allready know all this.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try a GM dealer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks