• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace windsield glass on M54A2 & XM211 Tips please

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, I have the glass and am getting new bottom channels soon for
the M54A2. I have a used good frame for the XM211.
After cleaning and painting the parts I need to know what type of seal
to get and where, or type of goop etc. along with any tips on how to do this
without screwing it up.

Any and all help is very much appreciated.
Bruce

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was originally some felt material in between the glass and the frame. My opinion is that this is old technology and holds moisture against the metal. I have been using all black silicone to seal the glass in place. I use some of the old felt material as a spacer to get the glass centered in the frame, and then pooky away.

DSD277

Use the original cork/rubber tape, there are 5 thicknesses to choose from. You want to use one that wraps around glass and lets it slip into the frame, but not too snuggly. The trick is to oil the tape on both sides and use masking tape to hold it on the glass and use side cutters to cut the excess in the corners, then slip the frame over the glass. The use of the oil will swell the cork tape and will hold it firmly when it dries. On rollup windows, use a thickness that requires some force to push the channel on the bottom of the glass. Again oil the tape. Be careful, uses of the window can pull the channel off until the tape swell and holds firmly in a few days.

I've been in the glass industry for almost 40 years, most of the early ones doing a lot of autoglass and in the past few years manufacturing DOT tinted glass for Pinzes, Haffies and Mogs.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi DSD277, I just want to see if I got this right and not screw it up.
1-Do you bend the cork tape over the edge of the glass and mask it in place
and then coat the exposed sides of the cork tape with oil, or do you coat both sides
of the cork tape with oil before bending it over the glass and attempt to secure it
with masking tape? I ask because it seems like the masking tape might not stick too well
to the oiled cork tape.

2-What type of oil and how much? Just plain old motor oil spread on thinly with your finger?

Thank you very much,
Bruce

DSD277

Bruce,
Technique varies for each person, but you have it generally right. I like to brush the oil on the side of the tape against the glass and then use masking tape across as you said, then apply oil on the outer edge. It can be a little messy. Unfortunately, I haven’t done the glass on a American MV ( or just don't remember:?), but they are all pretty much the same. A lot of times, one piece of the frame comes off and you slide the glass into the frame, and then re-install the 4th side. If you are so lucky to dismantle the frame from opposite corners ( you have 2 “L” shape pieces) you won’t be dancing for a 3rd hand to hold things, never break the frame into 4 seperate pieces, you'll be trying to remember how it goes together , You should be able to pound the frame onto the glass with your hands, the rubber will swell that much. Don’t be stingy with the oil, that’s what makes it swell.

Vent glasses are the same, just make the rubber a bit more tighter before the oil. And the channel on the rollup windows even more, usually where you need a rubber mallet to tap them on, BUT BE CAREFUL, if the rollup windows are laminated glass you can crack them if you get too zealous , and be careful not to collapse the roller channel ( I have an offset chisel for this that wraps around the roller channel and applies pressure at the base of the glazing channel). Experience helps here, and developing a “feel”.

I use motor oil that I have around.

None of these glass should be installed with silicone or any sealant using a chauking gun.
Nothing wrong with the old technology..

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much! Luckily I have two NOS 'U' shaped channels on the way. Both
sides and bottom is all one piece. At least for the 5 ton. On the XM211 I have a used
frame with the glass broken out that I need to overhaul and clean up.
Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks