• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replaced Rear Pinion Seal - Handy Hint!

houdel

I had a leaking pinion seal on my rear rear axle, bought a replacement seal from Saturn Surplus for $12.50, and decided today was as good a time as any to replace it. Removing the driveshaft was pretty straightforward, pulled the cotter pin from the pinion nut and proceeded to wrench on the nut, it didn't move. Put a cheater extension on my breaker bar and wrenched for all I could, the nut wouldn't budge at all. First thought was time to pull the other end of the driveshaft and run over to the nearby truck shop and have them take the nut off with a BMF impact. Second thought - it's Saturday, they aren't open!

OK, gotta do it myself, but how? Then I had a flash of inspiration - I recalled a recent posting on removing stuck lug nuts by putting a lug wrench on the nut, the end of the breaker bar on the ground, and driving the truck forward or reverse, as necessary, to break the nut loose. Why not use the same principal to break my pinion nut loose? So I put the socket on the nut with the breaker bar aiming toward the left hand torque rod, added my cheater extension to extend the bar over the torque rod, and clamped a big C clamp on either side of the extension so it wouldn't slip. Started the truck, put her in 2nd low, drove forward about four feet, and presto! the nut was loose! See photo 1 for my setup, the socket is in the left center of the pic, the breaker bar extension, C clamps and torque rod are in the right lower side of the pic.

Removing the seal itself was a real bear. I had read most of the threads on replacing pinion seals and tried most of the tricks, but this one was tough. I'm not a novice at this, I've replaced many seals, but this was the worst I've ever run across. Unlike most replacement seals, the sidewall of this one ran the full depth of the seal recess. I took the pinion flange off, tried gently tapping the old seal out with a punch, wouldn't move. Beat on it, still wouldn't move. I finally had to beat the outside lip of the inward with a punch to relieve the sidewall pressure before I could finally drive the seal out! The old seal was about twice the depth of the new seal (see photo 2). Cleaned everything up nice, gently tapped the new seal in place so the outside flange was at about the same depth as the original, then used a machinist's rule to make sure it was seated to the same depth all the way around.

Replaced the pinion flange, making sure the drain holes in the shims were aligned with the drain hole in the housing and buttoned it up. Replaced the washer, slinger and pinion nut. Did "chin ups" on the breaker bar to get the pinion on good and tight! Reconnected the driveshaft and finally, after too many hours, I was done! Now I just gotta replace that torn front CV joint boot- but not today!

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might check the pinion bearings. Most of the time that i've had them leak is when the pinion bearings go and the flange wallers around. I've had to change 9 sets on the fire trucks so far. Just jack up a tire on the axel your working on to let any binding loose and try to move the flange up and down . If you feel slop it won't be long before the new seal starts to leak. I have the bearing and cup timkin part#'s if you need them.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad for the info, I know at least 3 of mine are leaking. Something about fresh oil and old seals don't get along.

Dennis

Last edited:

houdel

Ken - I'd read about the pinion bearing issue in some other posts on this subject. I did check mine during the seal service, I couldn't get the pinion to move at all. Thanks for the heads up though!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
now that is scary...

You can do things three ways. The right way, the wrong way, or my way; which is a lot llike the wrong way, only faster.

-not mine, but it fits

houdel

Actually, now there are FOUR ways - The right way, the wrong way, Joel's way, and the military way! You have obviously NEVER been in the military, Joel!

Opie

OK, I'll have to bite here. Knowing virtually nothing about these machines :oops: ...what is a pinion, and what does it do on a deuce?

houdel

The pinion gear is one of two gears (the other being the ring gear) in the rear axle which convert the longitudinal (fore-aft) power delivered by the driveshaft to transverse (side-to-side) power to spin the rear axle shafts which then rotates the rear tires.

The first picture is of the ring and pinion carrier assembly from TM 9-2320-316-34P. The arrow numbered 1 points to the driveshaft flange, there is an identical flange at the other end of the carrier assembly which you can clearly see. You can also see the large round ring gear at the bottom of the assembly. The pinion gear is not visible in this picture, it is in the top part of the carrier between the driveshaft flanges. The pinion rotates longitudinally with the driveshaft and drives the ring gear transversely to spin the axle shafts and tires.

The second picture shows an exploded view of the parts inside the top of the carrier. The driveshaft flanges are at the extreme ends of the view, the pinion is in the center, the rest of the parts are bearings and an assortment of attaching parts to hold the assembly together. Item #13 is the ring and pinion set, the seal I had to replace is item #8.

For logistics simplicity, all three axles use the same carrier assembly. That is why the front axle has an unused driveshaft flange pointing to the front and the rear rear axle has an unused driveshaft flange pointing to the rear.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks