• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement options for 24 volt headlight switch

iamthesargent

To start off, I know this topic has been beaten to death but I'm about at my wits end. I have a fleet of M35A3's, an M931, and a couple of LMTVs, and it seems like the operators cannot figure out that the headlights need to be completely off when the unit is off. I've finally stopped them from breaking the main lever on the 3 lever switch by removing the unlock lever, but they're constantly leaving the units in stoplight when parking them. Because we removed the dimmer lever after its been set on panel bright (they couldn't figure this lever out either...), this of course leaves the dash lights on.

Has anyone come up with a toggle switch solution to replace the OEM switches on the 24 volt rigs similar to how they did it on the LMTVs? At this point, I need to come up with an idiot proof solution. Going somewhere? Turn the toggle switch on. Turning the truck off? Toggle switch off. Any advice is appreciated.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I mean you could just put a ground side disconnect thru the battery box on the floor in the 939s. About the easiest route. Disconnecting the ground will prevent any battery drain.

If you wanted to add an additional switch you will cut wire tag # 15 on the back of the light switch. That is the 24v supply the switch and wire it back to it to control the power flow.

Light switch plug is a pain to access so it's your choice

Hummer Guy

To start off, I know this topic has been beaten to death but I'm about at my wits end. I have a fleet of M35A3's, an M931, and a couple of LMTVs, and it seems like the operators cannot figure out that the headlights need to be completely off when the unit is off. I've finally stopped them from breaking the main lever on the 3 lever switch by removing the unlock lever, but they're constantly leaving the units in stoplight when parking them. Because we removed the dimmer lever after its been set on panel bright (they couldn't figure this lever out either...), this of course leaves the dash lights on.

Has anyone come up with a toggle switch solution to replace the OEM switches on the 24 volt rigs similar to how they did it on the LMTVs? At this point, I need to come up with an idiot proof solution. Going somewhere? Turn the toggle switch on. Turning the truck off? Toggle switch off. Any advice is appreciated.
It took me a little while to find the picture, but this is what was installed in my m35a2 before I got it, I still have it and find it pretty easy to use

Attachments

iamthesargent

It took me a little while to find the picture, but this is what was installed in my m35a2 before I got it, I still have it and find it pretty easy to use
Oh dont worry, they leave those on too, or cant figure out how to turn them on in the first place lol. Havent had any electrical issues with our M35A3 that has it.

I appreciate all of yall's suggestions though.

I mean you could just put a ground side disconnect thru the battery box on the floor in the 939s. About the easiest route. Disconnecting the ground will prevent any battery drain.

If you wanted to add an additional switch you will cut wire tag # 15 on the back of the light switch. That is the 24v supply the switch and wire it back to it to control the power flow.

Light switch plug is a pain to access so it's your choice
I do like this idea though. Will be exploring this one.

The 3-lever switch is a work of art.

However, there are many ignorant of such offerings...and they are always in a hurry.

Maybe dock their pay for every dead battery instance.

Less work for you.
100% agree. When we have the rare switch go out, I always replace it with the 3 lever style. Its dead simple (minus the turning off part apparently). I do wish I could dock pay, but that's out of the question lol.

Guyfang

Staff member
After the motor Sergeant made me remove, charge, and replace the batteries in our M813 a few times, I made a real effort to learn how to correctly use the three lever switch. Perhaps some "Extra Training" is needed. I still know how it works, and have not seen one since 2010.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks