• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement Starter Question

dabtl

I got a used starter for the multi-fuel motor from miltrucks. Took it to the local starter shop. The owner looked at it and suggested that a GM AC-Delco starter converted to 24 volts would be interchangeable. Any thoughts?

ah1955

Why: is there something wrong with the used starter that you just bought, would a Delco be cheaper them rebuilding the used one or does he think the Delco is a better starter.

poppop

My starter man told me he could build me one if I ever needed. A lot of heavy truck starters have the same bolt pattern, the only difference is which way the head is turned for the solinoid placement. Also I understand these motors will fit in a lot of White tractors as White build a lot of these. Some tractor pullers use these engines in their pulling tractors.

dabtl

ah1955 said:
Why: is there something wrong with the used starter that you just bought, would a Delco be cheaper them rebuilding the used one or does he think the Delco is a better starter.
No, but they are cheaper, perhaps, to rebuild and far more plentiful. We are in the process of rebuilding the one from miltrucks, it worked when pulled, only because I would rather deal with it now than wait until my current starter quits.

I saw these GM AC-Delco starters and wondered if anyone had used one or whether or not it would be a good idea.