• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacement whistling turbo

dmetalmiki

Any information Anywhere about whistling turbo repai or replacement? We recently purchased two (suposed )whistling turbos specifically asking for units of that type. BOTH new turbos where NON whistlers.. despite the company perpoting them so to be! and they where expensive. Is there and DEFINING part# or serial# i.d. whatever to facillitate the CORRECT replacement type to orriginal "noisy" spec. Replacent units in U.K. and continent BY LEGLISLATION have to be QUIET!..SO just how OR where and at what price can we replace our worn turbos (whistlers) for M series trucks that WHISTLE as LOUD (or louder!) than our orriginal worn out units? perusing all and any T.M. mags and write ups reveals no information as how to obtain an orriginal "noise to type" and knowledge or dfining information appreciated. (THREE units now sought here in U.K.)

houdel

The "C" (whistler) and "D" (quiet) turbos have different part numbers, but they are not, to the best of my knowledge, marked with a part number or any other identification to be able to differentiate between the two, you have to look at them to tell which is which.

There are two readily visible landmarks to identify which turbo you have. First, the exhaust side of the "C" turbo is tapered from top to bottom giving it a snail like look, while the "D" turbo exhaust is fatter and has a uniform width from top to bottom. Second, the exhaust and intake sides of the "C" turbo are joined together externally with a "U" shaped band and clamping bolt, while the "D" turbo halves are joined together internally with bolts. The attached photos clearly show the difference.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

THANK YOU explicit and good clear consise pics. Im going to check my M35 and M45 right NOW! (M35 whistles) M45 DOES NOT> going....4 a .looki....WOW!! im back and YES deuce WHISTLER.. M45 fire truck NON whistler as PER PICS INFO!! BUT ya know watt? the M62 wrecker(5 Ton!) I got saturday HAS THE C (as described!!) on it..goes FINE whistles.. SO (can I ?/shud I??/ fit a "C" turbo on my M54? as that doesnt whistle??..?? the turbo on My M54 5 ton IS a BIG son of a gun..non whistler or not its BIGGER than iether the "C" or "D" on the others!..it does actually whistle a bit when pulling tho.......your thoughts..on this.... P.S. as an aside..can you throw some light on this for us.. JUST NOW NOTICED when we moved out the M45 firetruck to check the turbo (on full lock) there is an ALLMIGHTY! crack and shuddering!! and the forward rear axle JUMPS OUT OF LINE about 2"!! then back in line when locks taken off AND JUMPS and shudders 2" the other way on opposing the opposite lock to the first!?? Oh and YEAH..the guy who sold it us rang several occaisions..""is everything ok any problems?""" I sorta wondered why..at the time..and checked EVEYTHING I cud think of (brakes U.S!) M.C. leaks etc! didnt SPOT THE WELDS ON THE FORWARD AXLE TUBES THOUGH...!! ? (supposed to hinge at that point? and certainly NOT move laterraly accross the frame (in / out!?)..any help advice on this please?

tshields

Any of you guys that want to get rid of that noisy whistler turbo, I would be more then happy to trade ya!!! :roll:

Terry

1966 Kaiser Jeep with a non-whistler turbo

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what, the guy jiggied up the axle with some welds? I don't understand what really happened?

dmetalmiki

I took truck out to check turbo ::eek:n applying full lock.CRACK BUMP WOBBLE! my son shouts the (blooming!? or something similar!) AXLE jumped over 3 or 4inches?? so I get him to drive it the OTHER LOCK..and sure eniff CRACK BUMP over go the forward two wheels untill they stick out of line 4"!! going the oipposite lock to that results in MORE cracking bumping and assorted noises untill the forward rear pairs have now shifted across from out 422 to straight to 42 the other side!! SO..I teks a look under.. AND YES THE..F....pra... HAS (the) AXLE CROSS TUBE WELDED to the outer housings!! (just inside the srprings) where it comes out of the bush and goes accross the width of the truck. (and yep..)HOW does it move longtitudaly?..(bumps undulating terrain)etc)..QUITE!! so now the whole axle jumps out of line when steering is applied in that direction.(runs IN LINE in straight ahead travelling )..so ANY IDEAS BOUT THAT?..I gotta get my manuals back I lent out..cant quite figure what holds the axles from moving out on turns..UNLESS the bushes where the tube enters the housing IS SUPPOSED TO BE (tight/jam fit..locked in??)..again any knowledge appreciated..

dmetalmiki

I took truck out to check turbo ::eek:n applying full lock.CRACK BUMP WOBBLE! my son shouts the (blooming!? or something similar!) AXLE jumped over 3 or 4inches?? so I get him to drive it the OTHER LOCK..and sure eniff CRACK BUMP over go OUT the forward two wheels(sideways) untill they stick out of line 4"!! going the oipposite lock to that results in MORE cracking bumping and assorted noises untill the forward rear pairs have now shifted across from out 4" to straight, to 4" sticking out the other side!! SO..I teks a look under.. AND YES THE..F....pra... HAS (the) AXLE CROSS TUBE WELDED to the outer housings!! (just inside the srprings) where it comes out of the bush and goes accross the width of the truck. (and yep..)HOW does it move longtitudaly?..(bumps undulating terrain)etc)..QUITE!! so now the whole axle jumps out of line when steering is applied in oposite directions.(runs IN LINE in straight ahead travelling )..so ANY IDEAS BOUT THAT?..I gotta get my manuals back I lent out..cant quite figure what holds the axles from moving out((across)) on turns..UNLESS the bushes where the tube enters the housing IS SUPPOSED TO BE (tight/jam fit..locked in??)..again any knowledge appreciated..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks