• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Belts

Danarchy

I bought a 1952 GMC M35 last month and on the way home the belts gave out. I've studied the manuals posted online, which all seem to be for newer models. My problem is that my configuration that I'm looking at it seems simple, but there seems to be no easy way to adjust the pulleys to release tension.

On the compressor pulley, as I am looking at it and from what I'm reading here, I have to pull off the head of the pulley, using a specialized wrench http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...l-Compressor-Wrench&highlight=compressor+tool , as describe here. It appears to be the right tool, but before I ordered and spent the money, I wanted to confirm that I'm on the right track (because I don't see a way to break it loose or get the belt stretched on any other way).

Here is a photo of what I'm working with (I've removed the two bolts on either side, thinking that would do the job, but no luck): DSCN1233.jpg

On the alternator side, I loosened the tension bolt, but the alternator remains fixed (looking at it from the top here)
DSCN1232.jpg

So from what I can determine, I think that if I loosen the two bolts on the bracket that should allow the alternator to move slightly and slip the belt on and then tighten it back into place. Photo of those bolts here:
DSCN1230.jpg

Finally, I ordered a three-belt set for the M35, but it seems from the remains of the belts that I'm looking at that there are two belts: one from crankshaft to alternator to fan and one from crankshaft to compressor. Or do I install another, because the third belt in the set doesn't seem to fix anywhere on this configuration.

Okay, these may be really stupid questions, but I couldn't find a manual for this model and I'm trying to piece things together from info on later models.

So my questions are: Is there a manual for these older models? Am I on the right track? Or am I missing some really obvious things as a novice that would make my life much easier and get this thing on the road with a functioning fan and a compressor to keep the brakes pressurized. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your pictures are not of a 1952 or any year GMC. What do you have? Looks like a M35A2.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You really have an M35A1 or A2. You don't have a GMC, although some former owner might have erroneously titled it as one, leading you to think it is one. GMC made the M135/211 series.

Tell us the vin of your truck and we'll tell you what year it really is.

The manuals you need are for the M35A1 and A2 series, which are in the TM section here. I am sure you can find them, since you already found the compressor tool info. You can use the 209 series (early) or 361 series (later), they'll both apply to your truck.

The belts are one belt for the compressor, which does require the special wrench, which you already found (you other news guys, check this guy out) and a pair of "matched" belts for the alternator/fan/crank.

Put a pry bar under the alternator and move it up enough to get the belts on and off. There are a couple of bolts underneath that may need loosening if they're on crazy tight.

Last edited:

Danarchy

Wow, that was quick. Should have tried here earlier. Thanks, yes, looked again, it is AM General. I will download those manuals and study them.

So the belts run in tandem on the alternator/fan/crank - that clarifies things.

Thanks again for the help.

nattieleather

Someone was selling that special wrench on ebay you might look there if you "must have" one in your tool box. When I had an M35A2 I just did like was stated above. Moved the altinator till I could slip the belt on. Took some time and some levering but we got it.

Danarchy

Thanks to everyone for their assistance so far. I ordered the special wrenches and attempted to use them last weekend, but that pulley does not want to move. I've looked at the manual and it appears that after removing the two bolts on either side that should spin after easily enough. However, it is not, so I'm assuming that we are trying overcome several decades of rust. Before I apply extreme force, does the front of the pulley spin off clockwise or counter-clockwise (standing in front of truck)? Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Counter-clockwise. Soak in WD-40 or something like that. I use a pair of big ole pipe wrenches to break the outer sheave loose if the special wrench won't do the job.