• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Fuel Injectors

dmc-4359

I've searched through this forum and I've gone through the maintenance manual, and I'm just not finding the procedure on replacing the fuel injectors. I suspect this is entirely a defect in my abilities but I still need the procedure so here I am posting this thread. I would appreciate any advice, tips, or just a simple link to said material.

Two of my injectors are leaking at the middle joint connection. I figure since the rest of the truck appears to have been neglected in regards to maintenance, that it is a good idea to go ahead and replace everything. I ordered eight new injectors, glow plugs, and the various return hoses/gaskets necessary to install them. From my perspective, all I should need to do is remove the eight injectors/glow plugs (having read plenty on what to do if a GP breaks or is stuck) and put the new pieces in place. While the act of replacing the stuff is simple enough my uncertainty is more towards the air that will be in the injectors and that which would be in the fuel line as well after I take them loose.

My concerns are;

Will it burp itself so long as I can turn the engine over enough to prime everything?

Should I replace one injector at a time while letting the engine run a minute or so in between injector swaps to help facilitate the air removal process and save the starter from having an unnecessary work out?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used the Haynes manual as a guide to change mine out. It wasn't too bad. I changed them all at once. I left all of the nuts cracked until fuel showed, tightened them down, and it started right up. Make sure you give the starter a few minutes of cool-down for every 30 seconds you crank it.

dmc-4359

If I remove the fuel stop solenoid power, won't that block fuel flow to the injector pump and keep it from rendering fuel at the injectors?

dmc-4359

Well, I replaced all the injectors and glow plugs. I left the lines open on the injectors while my wife turned the engine over. Once I saw fuel coming out of the lines I tightened them up. Engaging the starter for 10 seconds with 30 second breaks took about two minutes to get fuel coming out of the injectors. I put the battery back on charge while I attended to some of the wiring in the engine compartment. Once I sorted most of that out, I hooked the battery back up and tried again.

I cycled the glow plugs for 10 seconds on, 5 seconds off, 10 seconds on and then cranked it over. It caught and fired up but when I let off the gas pedal it died and I killed the battery trying to get it to fire again. Battery is currently charging and my question is whether or not I need to bleed this thing again or if I just need to be patient and retry. Thoughts?

edit - nevermind, I got it to run. It took me a while of searching but I realized that a lot of people were simply referring to the injector fuel circuits as "high pressure lines" and that is why I wasn't finding much when I was searching for "fuel injectors". Turned out I hadn't bled it correctly. On my second attempt to bleed, I hooked up a remote start button so I could engage the starter from under the hood and did them one at a time. Turned out the entire passenger bank was nothing but air.

As an aside, I will venture that this is one of those times when I'm glad I converted to 12 volts. Simply that I do not have another 24v vehicle in the yard but I've got plenty of 12 volt ones that I could hook up to keep the battery from dying out on me so quickly. My 2 cents, and canadian ones at that.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks