• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing M35A2 Wheel Bearing Races

ODRotorhead

Have searched for How-To information pertaining to removing and reinstalling Deuce wheel bearing races, but I'm not having any luck. The -20-3-2 isn't much help either.

This is my first effort in this area and I don't want to screw it up. If you know of any posts or videos showing the steps and tools required, please let me know.

Thanks.

Mark

Reactions: HDN

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers!

If you mean the bearing cups (#3920), each hub has two of them, press-fitted into their respective seats.
For removal of (old) races, seats have notches, to either apply a puller or tap them out with a brass drift. Be careful to not damage the seat's surface!

Before installation of (new) bearing cups, clean; inspect and apply some lube to the bore.
Installation should be done with a shop press, or using a suitable installer tool. In a pinch, you can also take the old cup, cut a slit through it and use that one- plus a brass hammer, to pound-in the replacement cup. Never hit a new- or reusable bearing directly with a punch/ hammer!

Whatever method, take special care that the cup is kept well aligned with the bore and goes in perfectly straight!
This is my first effort in this area and I don't want to screw it up
With some patience and common sense there isn't really that much that can go wrong!
Hub & drum assemblies are heavy, so keep your feet and fingers clear!

ODRotorhead

Thanks very much for that helpful information. I'd been warned in advance about the weight of the drums. My back is already wrecked so I came up with a plan to avoid another trip to the hospital:

Brake Drum Bracket 002.jpg

I worked up a bracket to bolt onto my transmission lift. Once I get the drum bolted on the bracket and the table aligned with the spindle, I just pull the whole thing back and the drum slides right off without any effort. I have two M35A2s, so working with twelve drums makes the bracket fabrication a worthwhile effort.

None of my brass punches are big enough, long enough for the current job, so I'm shopping for a suitable drift. I found a 3/4" round brass drift that's 12" long that should do the job.

Mayhew Brass Drift 25075 - 001.jpg

The same company also offers a steel punch that's specifically designed for bearing races. It has a 5/8" oval tip and it's 20" long:

Mayhew 24550 Oval Tip Punch.jpgMayhew 24550 - 002.jpg

Given the size of the 3920 races, I'm leaning toward the specialized steel race punch. I know I'll have to be more careful with a steel punch. Any thoughts on which might be the better choice?

I have a small 20 ton shop press that I can use to seat the new races and, fortunately, a son who can manhandle the drums for me.

Lastly, I'm hoping someone can recommend a source for quality bearing, seal, and brake components at reasonable prices. Quality is more important than price, but within reason.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm grateful for any advice that can be offered.