• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing main bearings

red devils dude

as some of you know I am rebuilding my engine, tomorrow I am replacing my main bearings with the crankshaft in the engine(engine is in truck)
I have been told that if I loosen the caps on each side I can get them out with a little tool in the oil hole(to roll out the top one)
I need to know how do I make one(basc info) any help only have one day of good weather.

Crazyguyla

Jed

i have used a thin plastic putty knife on my car engine to change main bearings, and i have read that a popsicle stick/ tongue depressor could be used too.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a nail (the largest that will fit in the oil hole) and stick it into the oil hole. You may have to grind the head of the nail down a bit so it only hits the bearing insert and not the block. Then loosen all of the main caps, just enough so the crank will drop down about .015 to .030 of a inch. So there won't be any restance for the nail head to roll the bearing top insert when you turn the crank. When you remove one , install the new one and don't tighten any main caps untill all have been replaced.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've almost always used long feeler gauges. I have a set of super long ones and the thinner ones are a bit flexible. I used the stiffer ones until the bearing starts moving then switch to the thinner one.