• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Starter Solenoid on FLU419

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having issues with the starter on my FLU419. The solenoid either clicks or chatters when the start button is pushed. After several attempts with the chattering solenoid, the starter engages and spins the engine fast. I cleaned up all of the battery cables and other cables as well to make sure they were making good contact, with no difference. I believe I need to replace the starter solenoid. The question I have is there any way to replace the solenoid without removing the starter? According to the TM, the starter should be removed, but this may not actually be true.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you indeed getting good voltage to the solenoid?
I really don't like replacing any parts, no matter how easy it may be, if they don't need to be replaced. Okay, I'm lazy.

Speedwoble

I'm having issues with the starter on my FLU419. The solenoid either clicks or chatters when the start button is pushed. After several attempts with the chattering solenoid, the starter engages and spins the engine fast. I cleaned up all of the battery cables and other cables as well to make sure they were making good contact, with no difference. I believe I need to replace the starter solenoid. The question I have is there any way to replace the solenoid without removing the starter? According to the TM, the starter should be removed, but this may not actually be true.
I have replaced one starter on mine and it was not hard to do through the engine cover. I think there is enough room to get the solenoid off if you can get access to the fasteners. Personally I would go ahead and pull it to check the condition of the gear and lube the bendix. The local starter repair shop charged me $76 to check it over and replace the brushes and solenoid. The solenoid was just $20, which was cheaper than I could find it for online. All that to say, if you can find a small repair shop, it is worth stopping by.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have replaced one starter on mine and it was not hard to do through the engine cover. I think there is enough room to get the solenoid off if you can get access to the fasteners. Personally I would go ahead and pull it to check the condition of the gear and lube the bendix. The local starter repair shop charged me $76 to check it over and replace the brushes and solenoid. The solenoid was just $20, which was cheaper than I could find it for online. All that to say, if you can find a small repair shop, it is worth stopping by.
I decided to go ahead and pull the whole starter. I've already removed most of the wiring, but it got dark on me. I still have to remove the wires on the solenoid that are fastened with a screw, which is extremely tight. I could not loosen the screw with the starter in place, so I'll remove the bolts and pull the starter tomorrow and remove the screw and solenoid wires then, when I can access the screw better. I've already ordered an OEM Bosch replacement solenoid.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember now, but did the starter work if you "screwdriver started" it?
I didn't use a screwdriver, but no, the solenoid still clicked and chattered . I finally got the starter out. What a bear that was. The three nuts holding the starter on must have been torqued to 100 ft-lb! I had to use a crow foot socket to access them and a large breaker bar to break them loose. The nuts were in good shape with no rust or anything, just very tight. Once the starter was pulled free I was able to get the screw loose on the solenoid holding the wires. The same guy that tightened the nuts holding the starter on must have tightened that screw. It finally snapped loose after I really put some torque on it. I was very afraid that the screw was going to snap off. The end of the starter and the bendix gear is very rusty as you can see in the photo. I used a dremel with a wire brush to clean up the contact areas on the wires for eventual re-assembly.

Starter - Original.JPG

Speedwoble

FWIW, I was able to find some flange nuts with a reduced head diameter that made it much easier to get a socket on them to tighten things back up. I forget if they were in my stash, or Belmetric.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my starter rebuilt and re-installed in my FLU. I had it rebuilt by Sleepy Hollow Rebuilders (SWR) in Cumming, Georgia for $125.00 . They did an excellent job. It looks brand new and functions perfectly. I supplied an NOS solenoid I found on Ebay, although they had a new one for the same money. Interestingly, they told me they had just rebuilt the starter on another FLU419 about 6 weeks ago. They said that they rebuild a lot of starters and alternators from military trucks from all over the southeast. I thought removing that starter was rough. Re-installing the starter was much worse. Getting to that third mounting nut on the engine side of the starter was horrible. I invented three new words.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks