• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Winshield Gaskets

dabtl

I have just finished the second M35 window gasket of my brief career.

First, M135 windshields are different, much different. My post on that project included information about using a one inch putty knife and inserting the replacement from the backside of the window frame.

The M35 was far different. I recommend that you use a large flat screw driver on it. I lubed the channel with Vaseline. But, the difference in width makes a flat screw driver a necessity. The one inch putty knife does not work well. The gasket works equally well when inserted from the front or rear.

Do not get in a hurry, it takes from 15 minutes to half an hour per side.

DSD277

I'm not sure what you're doing, but it sounds like you're installing the weatherstriping on the perimeter of the frame, and not the actual windshield gasket.I haven't looked a M35 but would assume that a hook tool ( cotter key extractor, carpet tool...) would be the the tool of choice. I've been in the glass industry for over 35 years, lot of the early ones doing autoglass. Unless there was a speciality tool for something, we used a hook tool for a lot of things. Also, take a spray bottle and pour a little liquid dish soap in it and fill the rest with water for a lubricant..... I don't even want to imagine the mess the vasoline makes. :oops: :shock:
I'll see if I can look at a friend's M35 in the next few days to see what's needed.

Dave Dunn

dabtl

Actually the Vaseline made little mess. I avoided soap as with anything that is exposed to the elements, rust on steel is a pain. Soap, it seemed to me would invite rust on the channels I had just wire brushed and painted.

But, to each his own.

Barrman

He is talking about the rubber around the front windows. This is one of those installs that really depends on the individual doing it. I didn't like the way a screw driver pushed into the rubber so I ground a corner of a 1" putty knife to round it off and then went on my way.

It is also very important to get all of the old rubber, rust, crud, dirt out of the channels before you start. A 90 degree bent small flat blade screw driver did the trick for me.

Attachments

Barrman

I got mine from AB Linn for around $20-$25 a year ago. I don't know if he still has any. Mike at OD Iron probably has these as well. I don't know his price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks