• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing wood slats on M101A2

dennisS

I'm getting ready to replace the wood slats on the side of my trailer. They appear to be fastened (most of them) with a rivet-type bolt. Has anyone removed these and if so is there an easy way without causing a lot of damage. I don't want to do a lot of grinding if there is another way to do it.

Thanks,

Dennis

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the ones I've seen are carriage bolts. Use some PB Blaster on the nuts, grab the head with some good vise-grips, and air ratchet the nuts off. When you replace the bolts, use stainless hex bolts, washers, lockwashers, and hex nuts. Makes it easier in the future.

Nonotagain

The racks on one of my M101 trailers with wood slats are installed with Jo-bolts.

Basically Jo-bolts are a fastener with a small section that is reduced in diameter that uses a collar instead of a nut. A gun pulls on the "bolt" and once the torque is reached the collar crushes, the "bolt" breaks, locking the fastener in place. They are a one time installation fastener.

They are like a snow-blower shear bolt without the ability to remove the nut.

The collars are hard. I use a radiac wheel to cut the collar free and then replace the fastener with a carriage bolt, flat washer and nut.

dennisS

I think that I have the "Jo bolts" on my trailer given your description and I am planning on replacing them with conventional bolts, nuts and washers.

Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks