• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repop windshield assembly

USMC6062

Who has bought one? I heard they are made in Korea. My new deuce from GL needs a passenger side windshield frame, it's rusted at the bottom like they all do. The drivers side has what appears to be a new one, I'm trying to figure out if it's one of the Korean ones or an original military issued one. If it's a repop, then I wouldn't mind putting one on the passengers side, if it's original, then I'd like to find another original one. My drivers side one says "Hanglass, Hankuk, Sekurit" one above the other on the bottom corner of the glass. Is this original or is that what the repops say? Are the repops as good as the originals? Did the military ever use foreign parts on these trucks? Thanks, Alex

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 3 "reproduction" windshields. I believe they were made by Kia Motors (who reproduces the complete truck for the Korean military). I am very satisfied with the windows. It seems like there was one slight difference(cant remember what) but it is nothing significant. New glass is a joy!

papercu

glass

A google search of Hanglass, Hankuk, Sekurit comes back with this:
"Hankuk Sekurit Ltd is a member of HANGLAS, a pioneer of Korean Glass Industry.
Since 1971, when the Incheon Plant of Hankuk Sekurit started to turn out tempered glass,
Hankuk Sekurit has maintained a dominant leadership position in the local market. In 1997, the company entered into a technical alliance with the Saint-Gobain Group of France, the world’s largest glassmaker, in order to provide customers with the latest in cutting-edge products and services.
Currently, Hankuk Sekurit accounts for more than 50% of the automotive glass installed in the cars, trucks, buses and railway coaches manufactured in Korea. Moreover, the company constantly seeks to upgrade its product quality and expand its product offerings."

I thought the military bought U.S.A. when possible? Wayne

USMC6062

I may have just found most of my answers. I did a search on yahoo for "hanglass, hankuk, sekurit" and it comes up with all this Korean stuff, and one website is a Kia website. So I guess the military did use foreign parts on these trucks when they had to.

USMC6062

Re: glass

papercu said:
A google search of Hanglass, Hankuk, Sekurit comes back with this:
"Hankuk Sekurit Ltd is a member of HANGLAS, a pioneer of Korean Glass Industry.
Since 1971, when the Incheon Plant of Hankuk Sekurit started to turn out tempered glass,
Hankuk Sekurit has maintained a dominant leadership position in the local market. In 1997, the company entered into a technical alliance with the Saint-Gobain Group of France, the world’s largest glassmaker, in order to provide customers with the latest in cutting-edge products and services.
Currently, Hankuk Sekurit accounts for more than 50% of the automotive glass installed in the cars, trucks, buses and railway coaches manufactured in Korea. Moreover, the company constantly seeks to upgrade its product quality and expand its product offerings."

I thought the military bought U.S.A. when possible? Wayne

Hey you just beat me to it. Thanks, Alex

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The US Military has always tries to buy from US suppliers. any look at www.fbo.gov will tell you that. But when the supply system has a long ESD on a part you NEED, and the LTC says "get it fixed NOW" out comes the IMPAC Card, a source is found, it arrives, gets fixed, and LTC is happy. I's be willing to be that the supplier of THAT windown didnt exactly say "well, ya know this isnt made in the US".. Im sure it was more of a "do you have a front windshild for a M35A2 instock, and can it ship out today?" thing.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks