• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Research project - help needed

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Hey fellows - I am doing a bit of research, and need some from ya'll.

I'd like to hear from those of you who own M35-type trucks that are NOT AM General M35A2 trucks.

If you have a AM General tanker - that's great, I need to hear from you.

If you have a Kaiser M35A2 - that is also great.

If you have a vehicle that meets the above - please either private message me, or email me at ddoyle9570@aol.com.

I'd like to find out the model, registration (USA), and serial (VIN) number of your vehicle (if your leary of passing out the VIN - contact me anyhow, we can work around this.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sincerely,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Research project

David, you want the info on that Stude M108 or just doing cargos? Also search the site for "need your VIN" Its a thread started a while back and has lots of numbers. Rice and I were trying to make rhyme or reason from the first 4 numbers. Things like 0540 and 1040 are both drop sides.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Yes, Kenny, I'd like the info on your M108 - and your tractors - anything except short cargos by AM General - contract numbers if known would be helpful too. Also, when responding, if you fellows would let me know if your data plate says with or without winch - that will help too.

Thanks,
David

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

PM sent. By registration, do you mean the plate# and how it's registered, or what state it's registered in?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think he means the US Army registration #. Starts with N. What's the plan with all this info? Not being a jerk, just wondering.. I might be able to help with some of the Army reggie #'s.. Have you called APG?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

The long-range goal is to build a large enough sample of data to make accurate determinations about certain aspects of the deuces. Especially the relationship between contract numbers, registration numbers and VIN numbers. I am particularly intersted in the transition from gas to Multifuel - which was not done at the same time for all models. Initially, the extra weight of the Multifuel brought about axle loading concerns, and some variants retained the gasser for some time after the cargos were converted to Multfuel.

Further, the military has through the years made numerous mods - and collectors many more. The WWII Jeep boys can essentially tell you who made the bolts for any given Jeep with only the VIN number. As appreciation for Vietnam-era vehicles grows, there will be the desire to do the same with the deuce. Since the bulk of the Reo records were tossed, and AM General is typically non-responsive to inquiries along this line, it is up to someone in the hobby to sort this out.

And, I am working on a book project which would include some of this type of "what truck detail when" data.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Thanks, that is a concise overview of the registration number system was put in place in 1972. I am primarily working with older vehicles, though is interesting reading.

Best,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Joel,
Thanks much...for those that haven't sent the info, please do - this is coming together very nicely.

Sincerely,
David Doyle

rdixiemiller

David
Keep us in the loop on your book progress. I think I can speak for most of us when I make a few statements:
1) We would all like a copy.
2) We would all like to help.
3) Most of us wish we had a "Bible" on the REO deuce series trucks.
4) As long as we don't attract unwanted attention from certain Govt. agencies, we will help anyway we can.

Are you looking at a full blown hardcover, complete with pictures? Or are you working more on a reference manual using available line drawings from .pdf manuals?
The former would be expensive, and require a publisher. The latter would be something you could put together with Adobe Acrobat and print yourself.

Either way, I am really interested in the progress.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

A couple of different books are in the works - one is hardcover, the other softcover - both with photos. After having been in business for myself, I am not interested in doing the self-publishing thing - that also makes me the self-salesman (something I really dislike), self-shipper, and self-packer - I typically spend more days per month on the road than at home - which would lead to dissatisfied customers. The conventional method requires only one sell - convince a publisher of a books saleability, and they take it from there - much more to my liking!

No one's personnel information will get published in any event - and ultimately this will make things easier for the newbies.

Best wishes, and thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

A progress report.....so far I have input VIN and registration numbers for about 450 deuces into this data base. And this is leading to some very useful information. This number should go up a good bit when I get home, where I have some old DRMS sales catalogs. But, given the huge number of trucks built, to have a statistically valid sample I've got to come up with more data. I am particularly weak on M35A1 and other LDS-427 powered trucks - and everything non-cargo (dump, van, pipelinem, tanker, etc. trucks. If you haven't sent in the info on your truck yet, please do so - every little bit helps. If you are reluctant to due to privacy issues - PM me so we can discuss this. No ones name or location is going to be published associated with any particular vehicle.

For those that are not aware - the "registration" number of a military vehicle is not issued by your state DMV - rather it is assigned by the federal government when the buy the truck. In the case of the trucks in question, it will be a sequence something like: 4L-9062 or 04B06369 or NK02LA. When most of these trucks were new, these numbers were painted on the hood sides. Now they are usually found on the insides of the doors, underside of hood, or on the data plate, often as part of the vin number.

Thanks,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks