• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restomod AC

Reinol

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to Humvees. I'm really enjoying working on mine.

Need some help. I purchased a Restomod AC kit for my 998. I went through the whole install and instructions were good but getting to the end not sure how to connect the dual fans and the final electrical.

If anyone here has done I would appreciate some pictures or diagrams.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Reinol

How about asking the vendor?
Thats the first thing I did.

Here is there answer:

The fan wiring is as follows

White Wire From Compressor To Pressure Switch ( Located At Air Dryer)
White Wire Out Of Pressure Switch To Blue Wire On Relay
Red Wire on relay- 12V Hot
Black Wire = Ground For Relay & Ground For Fan(S)
Orange is power wire to the fan(S)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the first thing I did.

EXPAND AND READ

The fan wiring is as follows

"White Wire From Compressor To Pressure Switch ( Located At Air Dryer)"
This is the white wire from the compressor, it goes to the pressure switch on the drier

"White Wire Out Of Pressure Switch To Blue Wire On Relay"
This is a white wire from the other terminal on the pressure switch, it gets connected to both of the blue wires on the relays

"Red Wire on relay- 12V Hot"
The red wires from the relays are connected to a 12V source this is t the connection between the batteries and it must be fused

Unless you do not have a 200A alt, then you would need to use a 24/12V converter for the 12V connections

"Black Wire = Ground For Relay & Ground For Fan(S)"
Ground 4 black leads, two from the relays and two from the fans

"Orange is power wire to the fan(S)"
Each orange wires from the relays go to each of the power leads on the fans, likely they are red. (do not connect these all together, to say one wire from each relay to each fan)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the relays are already connected to the fans, all you have to connect are the blue wires (to pressure switch) ground all the black wires and connect the two red wires to a 12V source

Reinol

I see the relays are already connected to the fans, all you have to connect are the blue wires (to pressure switch) ground all the black wires and connect the two red wires to a 12V source
Sorry for so many questions but this is a first for me. I have a few more questions.

1. Can I just connect to one of the batteries to get the 12 v or do I need a converter.
2. in the diagram from restomod it says there are two blue wires that go to the thermostat. Where would that be?

Thanks in advanced.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for so many questions but this is a first for me. I have a few more questions.

1. Can I just connect to one of the batteries to get the 12 v or do I need a converter.
2. in the diagram from restomod it says there are two blue wires that go to the thermostat. Where would that be?

Thanks in advanced.
IF you have a 200A alternator you can tap off 12V on the connection between the two batteries (always use a fuse here and draw no more than 20A or so, those fans may draw too much) if you have a 60A alternator you must use a 24/12V converter.
I have no idea about the blue wires you have not given enough information, the blue wires would be part of the kit.

EDIT, it would be more correct to say if you have a dual voltage alternator you can tap off of the connection between the batteries for 12V, if you have a single voltage alternator (60A) you will fry your batteries if you draw 12V off of the connection between the batteries because the single voltage alternator cannot compensate for the 12V load.
But even with the dual voltage alternator you should only draw about 20A MAX from the 12V connection, so you need to know what the 12V load will be, if the blower fan, compressor clutch and condenser fans are all 12V I would suspect you would be pushing it too far so your only choice there would be a 24/12V converter.

Last edited:

Reinol

IF you have a 200A alternator you can tap off 12V on the connection between the two batteries (always use a fuse here and draw no more than 20A or so, those fans may draw too much) if you have a 60A alternator you must use a 24/12V converter.
I have no idea about the blue wires you have not given enough information, the blue wires would be part of the kit.

EDIT, it would be more correct to say if you have a dual voltage alternator you can tap off of the connection between the batteries for 12V, if you have a single voltage alternator (60A) you will fry your batteries if you draw 12V off of the connection between the batteries because the single voltage alternator cannot compensate for the 12V load.
But even with the dual voltage alternator you should only draw about 20A MAX from the 12V connection, so you need to know what the 12V load will be, if the blower fan, compressor clutch and condenser fans are all 12V I would suspect you would be pushing it too far so your only choice there would be a 24/12V converter.
This is all the instructions show about the blue wires

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the blue wires go to the thermostat (temperature control)
One comes from the ECU and the other from the compressor relay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks