• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

restore M1009 24v

justinwregier

So I have gotten a hold of a few TMs for my M1009 but I am throwing this thread up to see if there are any other resources available that would assist in restoring a slightly modified/damaged CUCV 24v electrical system. My M1009 starts and runs solid which makes me even more excited to have a STOCK electrical system.

Of course until I connect with a technician/mechanic I will be doing the work which is why I am researching first to learn as much as possible before hand so I do not make more trouble for my self.

Currently there are a few changes\errors in the 24v system, here is a list of what I have discovered so far:

1) 12 volt? wire from a single battery through engine firewall and ending in cab for some kind of radio hook up?

2) GEN 1 light increases in brightness when heater fan is increased towards high

3) Dash lights on sometimes, off sometimes... a few bulbs seem to have moved also since there is a glow from beneath the steering column

4) I have found a bulb within the dash that has a single wire connected and a loose/damaged wire that for now has been taped off to prevent a short circuit/blown fuse

5) On inner panel near passenger side rear seat black power cable disconnected from what looks to be a ground? there is a red cable connected

It seems like these are all minor items but still I am very interested in returning my electrical system to stock 24v. I am not interested in a radio, not to concerned with any bells and whistles right now, I just want the reliability of my M1009 to be tip top. I live in NW OHIO so if there are any resources available to me near here I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Justin

StreetbikeDepot

My electrical system has not been messed with and is good working order and my GEN 1 light will barely glow when the heater fan is on and it will get slightly brighter when its on high.

stampy

The 12v wire for the radio is probably also correct( I have'nt checked mine) but it makes sense that some items (radios) may be 12v and that was just the supply cable. You can pull 12v off a single battery by wiring your device to the positive and neg of one battery This is probably why the gen lights up when the fan is on hi too(12v fan pulling off 1 battery). If 24v is needed you would series the batteries as it is done under the hood. I would check dash connections for loose wires/ bulbs and use dielectric grease(autozone or radio shack) to grease each bulb then replace them. That may solve lots of problems.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks