• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REV overheating - normal?

thoner7

It’s finally summer here in TN. 90 degrees today. Coming home from a trail, I went 8-9 miles on a major road doing 60 mph. Engine temps shot up and the red idiot light came on as it was overheating. Coolant temps have never been an issue before. I did not expect that, given that the REV trucks should handle Baghdad lol. It hasn't happened before even when I’ve driven faster and longer distances on the highway.

Is this normal ? I’d have to think not.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe that is normal. It gets fairly hot in Maryland in the summer and, even while driving with the A/C on, my engine temperature does not go over 190 degrees or so.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing I would do is check out the thermostat and make sure its functioning correctly and opening all the way? If that checks out start looking at the cooling lines and radiator, cooling fans etc. Overheating is to my knowledge never a normal situation!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start simple. Make sure you have enough radiator fluid and you don’t have a leak.

thoner7

I checked fluids before and after, so there’s plenty of antifreeze. I’ll have to search the TMs later and see where to start. Unfortunately I’m working crazy hours right now and also moving so it’ll be a while before I can get to anything

thoner7

Forgive me for the newbie questions. But the TM says to “feel the upper radiator hose” as a way to diagnose a problem with the thermostat . Am I feeling fit temperature or pressure of the hose??

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Forgive me for the newbie questions. But the TM says to “feel the upper radiator hose” as a way to diagnose a problem with the thermostat . Am I feeling fit temperature or pressure of the hose??
Squeeze it. Does it "give" or not? Is it warm? You might also feel a "surge" when the thermostat opens and slams back shut when a little water passes through the hose...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing slams shut, nothing slams open…thermostats open gradually as temperature increase and is fully open at rated temp of the tstat…the tstat regulates the coolant from the block to the radiator from the Top down.When fully hot and open “operating temp” the system should be pressurized, thus feeling the upper radiator hose should be hard and not soft form the pressured system…if not, it’s usually from a bad radiator cap not holding pressure or even a loose hose clamp or even a cracked overflow tank..I’ve seen it all.
And, as I previously stated….ive seen bad fan clutch on this model truck truck on several occasions, again…only at freeway Speeds, generally overheating happens at any speed,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks