• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rivet Clincher for Window Channel?

Gypsyman

When installing new front window channels in the door there is a single brass rivet at the top of each channel. How are owners clinching this rivet? I can find clinching tools but the cost is just not realistic when there are only two of these rivets per truck.

I've tried the methods I've seen mentioned. Vise grips and C-clamps give a poor finish and don't clinch the rivet properly. I can't seem to find anything via the search that covers this. Below is the rivet in question...

IMG_7190.JPG IMG_7191.JPG

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter

One of these might work? Bought one to do brake shoe relining rivets...

Gypsyman

I was looking at the manual tools. I guess you could pull the door and try to build something to support the rivet head.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe with the tool you could use a C clamp and a steel block in the channel over the rivet head. The Tools are long but you might cut one down. It would be hokey but doable. Squeeze the rivet down with the c-clamp and it would make the channel tight to the door. Maybe machine a round bar with two countersinks - one for the spinning anvil of the clamp and one to fit the diameter of the punch to help line it all up.

Gypsyman

I tried a cobbled together c-clamp this morning and I just couldn't get the leverage to roll the flange. I'll order a die and try it again. Good thing I bought a whole bag of the rivets. =)

Had an idea. I have a pair of junk 24" bolt cutters that a friend left here. I might be able to grind the jaws back far enough to weld on a die like the one shown below. Just have to cut off the mounting shaft. A small piece of smooth flat stock on the other jaw and I just might have the leverage to properly roll the rivet flange.

416MpHtT7RL.jpg

Gypsyman

Modified bolt cutter won't work. Handles won't clear the cab so the door will still need to come off. I'll get a die coming and try something else. Might just use a fine thread bolt and make my own C-clamp style squeezer.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck. Should not need that much force.

I had the tool in a Bridgeport collet and just used the quill handle to set most of the rivets.

Gypsyman

Thanks. I think that having the correct clinching die will greatly reduce the needed force. I found an old steering wheel puller in my junk box. The fine threads on that should generate more than enough pressure. With some scrap steel and little creative welding I should be able to create a tool.

Iron Maiden

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently replaced the window channels in my truck. What you need to do is find a piece of 9/16" steel barstock (1/2" would also work). You will use this metal as a small anvil to back up the rivet. Take a small ballpeen hammer and carefully peen over the head of the rivet. It might help if you had someone else to hold the backing bar, so you can concentrate on forming a nice head on your rivet. I've done some riveting in my life on other jobs and attempting to set this rivet with anything like a c-clamp isn't going to give you the type of results you want. This job only took me a few minutes doing it the way I described (I used solid brass rivets that were very similar to the original). I hope that helps you.

Gypsyman

Update. I ran across and old Roper Whitney clincher and took a gamble on it. The unit showed up with a broken retaining collar. Due to the weight the seller didn't want it back so they refunded the purchase price less the shipping cost. A few minutes on the lathe at a friends house and I had a new retaining collar. Cut it in half to make a split rings and voilà. A functional Roper Whitney DA-5 Redi-Set rivet squeezer. I'll modify a pair of bolts this weekend to make a backer and die holder. =)

Broken Retaining Ring (1).JPG IMG_7500.JPG IMG_7499.JPG IMG_7498.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Update. I ran across and old Roper Whitney clincher and took a gamble on it. The unit showed up with a broken retaining collar. Due to the weight the seller didn't want it back so they refunded the purchase price less the shipping cost. A few minutes on the lathe at a friends house and I had a new retaining collar. Cut it in half to make a split rings and voilà. A functional Roper Whitney DA-5 Redi-Set rivet squeezer. I'll modify a pair of bolts this weekend to make a backer and die holder. =)

View attachment 872025 View attachment 872026 View attachment 872027 View attachment 872028
Nice!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks