• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadtrip to Dogheads V4.0

m38inmaine

4th trip to Dogheads this past Friday to recover 5 M101A2's a MEP-003A and a deuce winch kit. Left Maine 9pm Thursday arrived Friday 745am. DH had the wrecker warmed up and ready to load. DH loaded the first one then handed the controls over to my son and with some DH instruction had him loading in no time. Stacked two of them using stakes in the lower trailer to hold them from moving around. While Eric and I were tying things down my son entertained DH's dog with a mule ride. Headed out before noon and arrived home Saturday 0200am. Had a trailer tire blow on the mass pike, had two spares but was pretty scary on that narrow breakdown lane, sorry no pictures of that. Last picture is of the MEP-003A home on the gen trailer, will post on that later.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't have the collection I have, without the help of a lot of friends! :D

Sure are a lot of good guys, on this site.2cents

It was fun loading with the M819.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, I was thinking, your barn would look better at my house!:idea:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The barn and wrecker would look even better in my yard. Wreckers are a blast, especially when you have some schmuck on the ground doing competent rigging.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
speaking of rigging...

How did you rig the trailers for flipping? The only one I have done was just lift by the lunette, sit it on its tail gate, then "drag" it over/lower it with the boom. Does anyone know if that is how Uncle Sam does it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used 2 straps, connected to the front lifting clevises. Lifted the front up, sat it on the tailgate, then with a short swing past the balance point, lowered it down(upside-down). We then, lifted at all 4 lift points, to stack on the other trailers.

All lifting was done with some 8' long x 1.5"wide straps, with eyes on each end.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks