• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

roll-up/down radiator covers

jesusgatos

Ever seen or heard of anything like this? Realize that it would have to be strong enough to withstand the suction force of the fan trying to pull it through the radiator. Was thinking that I could make a few vertical ribs to support it. Already have an arctic cover for the front-end, but would like to build something that I can open/close from the driver's seat as mah deuce warms up. Planning on making a new grill anyway, and was thinking this might be a neat feature to build into it.

oddshot

I couldn't find the article about the radiator cover on that site ...

But my first car had a pull UP radiator cover that worked pretty simply and effectively.

The car was a 1960 Volvo PV 544. Because this car was designed for use in VERY severe winter conditions, it had a canvas "window shade" mounted in front of the radiator. The shade, however, was installed at the BOTTOM of the radiator ... and needed to be pulled UP to cover the front of the radiator.

The shade was raised by way of a long thin linked chain that crossed the engine bay encased in a tube. The tube passed through the firewall to give the driver access to the chain.

All the driver had to do was pull the chain to raise the shade and anchor the chain on a conveniently located catch. No drop it ... all the drive had to do was free the chain from its anchor point and the spring in the roller of the shade pulled it back down.

I do not recall if the vehicle had to be stopped in order to do this ... but it seems to me the best way to do it.

The canvas was sufficient to stand up to the wind pressing it against the radiator ... I know that it survived the elements for at least 10 years.

BTW ... thermostatically operated SLATS across radiators was fairly common place on luxury crs of the 1930's ... try to find pictures of Rolls Royces and Packards of that day.

oddshot

Last edited:

Paul Wolfe

Hi,
The unstyled John Deere model A farm tractors made in the 30's used a canvas roll down radiator cover. But it could only be operated by standing in front of the tractor (no remote control) The canvas lasted untill it rotted . I had one last 30 years. Depends how much sun and rain exposure.

Paul

jesusgatos

That roll-up volvo cover sound sweet. but thermostatically controlled air-opererated shutters would be equally awesome and if they're already being used on other vehicles that's what I'll look into first. Thanks guys.

Sevin7

I second that the old un-styled two cylinder John Deeres had a method for doing what you suggest but it was manually. There was an additional style of blocking air flow and I think it involved louvers, my dad would know for sure.

The way accomplish keeping my NHC-250 warm is with a former election sign, spray painted black, of course. It's corrugated plastic, so it's sturdy enough. It sits on the bottom lip of the radiator and is held in by the grille until the fan sucks it up to the core. It covers about 2/3 of the core and is just enough for the water temp gage to actually come off the peg and give me some heat on a winter day. It is manually operated and probably isn't the cleanest looking modification, but it works.

BEASTMASTER

you want to dig up a set of shutters from the 60's era AUTOCAR trucks.the shutters worked off a temperature sensor and were controlled by an air cylinder to close or open. finding the right width and height is the hard part.

oddshot

Ever seen or heard of anything like this? Realize that it would have to be strong enough to withstand the suction force of the fan trying to pull it through the radiator.

This whole premise sorta reminds me of the the front of the old M-3 Halftrack. I know the "slats" were horizontal ... and there to deflect (real) small arms fire ...

... but if you're thinking about a whole redesign ... maybe that is something to think about.

oddshot

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be great to find something like that, even if only to see how they were designed/built. Thanks.
They were optional on the 1960's era ford super duty series trucks also . If you can find a truck salvage yard that didn't crush everything you might find the parts you need . A friend of mine has some old Auto cars and FWD's i'll try and get down there next week and see if any have the louvers and take some pics