• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rolling tailboard and rear winch

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking about a idea in my head and wanted to run it by y'all.

I've always wanted a camper on the back of my deuce but don't really want a dedicated camper like a M109. I've also got a 1,000gal skid mounted tank that would come in handy if I had a easy way to load/unload it.

The idea I had was mounting a removable rolling tailboard and a winch in the front of the bed. That way I could build my various "beds" on skids and winch them on and off the the truck. Kind of like the oilfield trucks or a poor man's PLS, so to speak. I've already got a dump on my truck so that would help on the loading angles.

I do have plenty of forklifts at my place of business that could handle these various loads but I'd like a way to load and unload things and not have to bring a forklift along with me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen many pics of the M756A2 loading and unloading this way. Seems to work well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea.

chupa

As have I!!! This thought occured to me about a week ago. Maybe convert an S-280 shelter into a camper and winch it up over the rolling tailboard.

tm america

Sounds like a good idea.. i think you will also need some guides to keep the box from hitting he bed sides at the rear on a non dropside bed.Other than that i say goo for it.If you go on you tube there are lots of videos of oil rigging trucks dropping and loading things like that

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have an auto scrap yard or salvage yard near you, maybe you could see if you can get parts from a junk roll off or small dumpster truck to build your project with. BTW, that 1,000 gal. tank is most likely going to overload your deuce, especially if it's not baffled.

quickfarms

Most roll off trucks use a sheive system because a winch is not powerful enough to lift a loaded heavy box.

Your truck will operate very similar to a roll off truck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have an auto scrap yard or salvage yard near you, maybe you could see if you can get parts from a junk roll off or small dumpster truck to build your project with. BTW, that 1,000 gal. tank is most likely going to overload your deuce, especially if it's not baffled.
1,000gal of water would be 8,600lbs. That's below the rated cargo cap. of the truck (10,000lbs on-road).

That being said, I mostly move it with it empty.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing I need to do is find a hydro winch. The truck already has a dump so a direct drive is out of the question. I've already got the hyd pump so a hyd winch is the way to go. I'm thinking maybe one of those hyd winches off of a HMMWV but am unsure if it would be big enough. I've got a spare deuce winch I could put a motor on also.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I had my 280 shelter I often thought about having a way to load/unload it without having to call my buddy with his rollback.

I considered a permanent raised frame with industrial rollers on it and placing some rollers in the bed of the truck. You could roll it off and on easily with a come-a-long.

I sold the shelter so the idea went back into the idea bin.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ty, I am putting one of those hydro milemarker winches under my bed too. They are rated at 10,500 and dual speed. The free spool is nice too. Find someone thats going to be at the Ga rally and I can bring it back with me. There was a bunch down there last year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this idea is completey stupid, please forgive me. I would mount the winch in the back of the truck, under the bed and reave the cable forward over a sheave at the front of the bed. Other than the re-rigging hassles, you would have a dual purpose winch with minimal loss of bed space. the same winch could be used with an A Frame as well.

Welder Sam

I used a bob truck (top kick) with a rear mounted winch for a few years. I loaded everything that i could haul with it onto a flat bed with no tail roller. To unload, tie it off to something solid and gently drive forward. Simple and effective. Not to mention very stout

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this idea is completey stupid, please forgive me. I would mount the winch in the back of the truck, under the bed and reave the cable forward over a sheave at the front of the bed. Other than the re-rigging hassles, you would have a dual purpose winch with minimal loss of bed space. the same winch could be used with an A Frame as well.
I see what you are saying but how are you going to rig it? If you run the cable off of the winch and over the tail roller to get to the front, the cable from the winch is going to be going the opposite direction of the load line. This would make the tail roller not roll and the cable will just drag on it. I like the idea of not taking up bed space but I've got to do a little more thinking about this.

I had a set of gin poles in the back of my mind also and they would also work with a bed front mounted winch.

The idea I had was to mount the winch as low under the front of the bed as I could but it would still more than likely stick up above the bed floor a little. I would have to have a bolt on cover of some sort for when I haul loose materials in the bed.

Gimpy, How do you know I'm not going to the GA rally?

The truth is I was going to try to go but I don't think I'll make it :cry:. We've been really slow at work but just landed a big job where we're going to have to try and do 2 months of work before Nov. 1. Got to make money instead of play. I'll let you know if I can make a deal.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kenny, I thought about that, but since I cut out the "tail"of my bed to access all that wasted space, I would be blocking my access to it! The winch will have to go under the bed just behind the cab, with some kind of roller fair lead mounted to the bed floor where the cable goes through.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
run the cable UNDER the bed to the front, then a sheave to return the cable, there could be rollers on the frame to carry the cable to the front, this setup would work with or without a dump

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Ron said, run cable under the bed. Reaving would be simplified by virtue of the dump bed. Gimpy, I know what you are saying, I'm planning a tray for that space on my truck.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the same thing.