• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie rear main seal replacement

n8roro

I have never done one before and have been working up my confidence to get it done by reading up in the TM and on here. I hope to get it done this week, and I think I have a handle on it except for one part in the TM that's confusing. I took a photo and underlined the text I'm confused by:

IMG_20190401_213712.jpg

Is "pipe sealant" pipe thread compound or ATF?

I take it the "main seal groove in the first sentence is on the bearing cap, and the "main seal groove" in the second sentence is the seal on the Fel pro product I bought.

The Fel pro main seal I got does not mention needing additional sealant except for ATF on the bearing cap flat surfaces.

Any advice or tips you can pass on would be great.

Here is the following page of the TM for reference:

IMG_20190401_213739.jpg

Thanks

cucvmule

collector of stuff
There used to be a little diagram that showed that offsetting the seal about an 1/8 inch to part the seal from the mating surface of the cap so to minimize the flat machined surface from leaking. Then a little silicon outside the rubber seal on the mating surface of the cap to the block as to help with sealing the parting line of the cap and the parting line of the seal. The area has oil pressure to lubricate the rear main bearing. It only takes a little fine little dab as by the time the cap is tightened just a film of silicone is left.

The oil is for lubricating the inside seal at the crank to seal mating surface, to help keep from dry rubbing until oil pressure can lubricate contact surface. I use a little lithium grease myself because that is the way I was taught.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I hope that helps, its easy yet it is a little confusing if you have not done yourself.
Pull up utube and rear main Chevrolet seal. Most are all the same. EASY

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks