• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rough start on new m1009

nighttrain2006

ok i just bought a 85 m1009, when i picked it up it started right up.
the next day i really had to crank on it to start it.

i change the oil, air filter and fuel filter so far. im going to buy new plugs and fuel pump, tommorw

once running it will restart fine, but once it cooled down it dosent want to start.

this is my frist desiel, and i can use all the help i can get thanks

Westech

CPL
glow plug control card is junk... search the site here about that.. a good way to go is to take the card out and put in a switch so you can turn on and off the glow plugs.

nighttrain2006

ok how do u like your m1009 has it been a reliable truck for u? im runs great it only has 18000 miles on it. ill install that swicth and remove the card this weekend. we were thinking that the truck was getting air in the stsyem form somewhere, im glad its oing to be a easy fix

Somemedic

If u just changed the fuel filter it is quite possible theres air in the line OR you didnt get a good seal when you put it back together. AIR IN THE FUEL WILL MAKE IT REV HIGHER FOR A BIT TIL IT DIES...

If you havent changed the glo plugs this could also be part of your problem. Just one or 2 dead plugs will make for a hard start, cold weather and a cold engine can make it next to impossible. Do urself a favor, if you dont dig on changing starters try installing a block heater on your cucv. This will make winter starting much easier which will make your starter last longer as well. You can use ether if you dont use the glo plugs (after you install the manual GP switch) on very cold mornings. Couple that with 2 hi cranking batteries (550 cca autozone cheapies aint going to do you any favors, shoot for 700+ccas) and decent working terminals. Take time and check the grounds on the motorand the distribution block as loose grounds will rob you of starting power. You can also start using a synth motor oil as it is easier flowing at colder temps and will also reduce stress on ur starterin the morning.

Follow the instructions on the visor for starting the engine (Half pedal for warm starts, floor the pedal for cold). It may take some time but Id have to say my truck is more reliable now than when I first got it. Wish I had gotten the bigger batteries in the beginning tho....

trkosaur

I had the exact same problem. Starts right away, dies. It usually takes two sets of good cranking with the pedal down to get it to fire after that.

I did two things and she fires right up now. Changed the fuel filter and bled according to the manual. I am pretty sure that I had a bit of air in the system which was causing the whole problem.

Also, I cleaned the plunger that sits right on top of the injection pump (looks like a screw sticking out). Make sure it can move easily as it is directly related to your throttle and can get stuck easily.

Seemed to work for me, hopefully this helps you out.