• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run Block Heater 6.2L all the time?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi this is my second winter with my M1009 in Indianapolis. Last winter I drove it everyday so I used the block heater daily. Now I might only be driving it once or twice a month. Just wondered what others thought about not running the block heater unless I know I'm going to drive it the next day?
Thanks

Chaski

Makes sense to me. Most block heaters are 600 watt. If you are paying $.14/kWh it will cost you about $2.00 a day (24 hours) to leave it plugged in. I plug mine in only when I know I am going to use it.

Drock

Agree, as long as you have a good, fresh, 50/50 mix of antifreeze. I see no reason to use the block heater unless you know your going to drive it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Plug it in an hour or 2 before you plan on using it. Why chance it burning out, or shorting, or wasting the power. Someone could accidentally unplug it, then you'd be up the creek too.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plug it in an hour or 2 before you plan on using it. Why chance it burning out, or shorting, or wasting the power. Someone could accidentally unplug it, then you'd be up the creek too.
I agree with Gimpy. I had my truck plugged in to a outlet with switch and when I woke up in the morning I just flipped the switch on. By the time it took me to get ready leave, the truck motor was good and warm.

cucvrus

I keep 2 CUCV plow trucks parked outside plugged in 24/7 during winter months. i leave the heater controls in the defrost position and temperature control on hot. When I get in them the wait light comes on about 5 seconds and starts like a summer day. The windshield is never iced up and I can unplug them put them in gear and get plowing with no warm up time. I have been doing it for years and only once did I have a cord go bad. i have GM water /freeze out plug heater elements in both trucks. I have them installed on the left side center freeze plug. Large company and we need the trucks running so the electric use is a fair trade off. We just mounted the salt spreader this week and have the plows at the ready. Have a great weekend. Happy Holidays.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVRUS

Do you run 1 or 2 block heaters?
I know you said drivers side center plug.
Read in old threads that others way up North install two. One on each side.
No clue what kind of weather you get there or if two block heaters isn't necessary.

I have only one since it doesn't get that cold for long periods here. It did get to *14 last night though.
Still haven't used it yet. Starts great even that cold.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I only have 1 heating element in each engine. Seems to be perfect. That is all that came from the factory in 6.2 diesels back in the day. When I worked at the GM dealership I used to drill a hole in the drivers side fender and put a flush mount receptacle cover on every state/municipal truck. Makes a world of difference on a cold morning and is much easier on the engine. But I do remember the visor/owners manual said a minimum of 8 hours. I used to plug my diesel Chevette in every day at work. It was always nice having a warm car. Have a safe and Happy Holiday in Oklahoma.

cucvrus

I bought 2 brand new. the first one was a 1984 CS Chevette diesel Sdn. $6900. It had tinted windows, cloth seats, tilt wheel, rear defrost, AM/FM stereo, quartz clock, 5 speed, center console, Chrome trim rings and custom styled wheels. The engine was a 1.8 Isuzu diesel engine. it could get rubber in the first 3 gears and it still got 50 MPG in the city and I got 68MPG when I drove it coast to coast 2 times. I was in Texas/Arizona and it had no A/C. I went across the desert and the air coming from the heater was cooler then the air coming in the windows outside Needle California. I loved it and kept it till the Wife totaled it at an intersection. I bought another one and ran it over 400K it died from rust in the front shock towers and floor boards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks