• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run flats, what are they

sermis

Any idea on the going scrap price for magnesium?
I put too much $$$ into the rims and tires thinking they were sold.
Buyer has not recontacted me about them yet.
I am thinking if scrap price is high enough they might have to go.

Alredneck

Banned
So when they catch on fire they burn really hot!!!! Why dont you just sell the runflats out right sure theres a buyer out there somewhere. Are they humvee or 20s for the big trucks?

sermis

HMMWV.
I have thought about trying to sell them, ebay, cras list, etc.
Other thought was if scrap price is enough they might just go.

Alredneck

Banned
Everyones going to the newer rubber style. I always thought the metal ones were easier to install. I hate the ratchet strap and pry bar with the rubbers. Most the folks I know are getting away from the 16.5s wheels and tires to. Its a shame sense you can pick them up so cheap these days. I wish I could run them on my dodge 2500 but the brake calipers are to big. I had a chance to get a set of 5 brand new radial humvee tires n wheels w/ runflats. I went to bolt one up to see if they would fit and dang heck no. Bolt pattern yes, brake to big. I still have one of those tires in TN. Maybe one of the CUCV guys or M880 guys on here will take them off your hands.

I just sold a set of 8 bolt/8 lugs wheels that were pretty clean for $245 on ebay (well maybe 4 months ago)...the magnesium locks are worth about $15 each

Advertsie them on www.pirate4x4.com off road guys are cutting out the centers and recentering them. You should be able to get $200+ for a set of four wheels.

I suspect magnesium was chosen for the strength to weight ratio....but magnesium scrap is not worth much. My advice would be to save it for a good bonfire night if nobody wants them. I do not think magnesium was a good choice-they had to add runflat gel, and subsequently changed the design.

I personally run the magnium inserts on my Jeep...but the runflats are cut off and I just kept the beadlock ring that sandwhiches the the inner and outer tire beads (double beadlock).

I think if you adverstise them on some offroad boards-they will move fast.

Note: 12 bolt wheels are for radial tires and 8 bolts for biased ply...you should not mix and match. Most off road rigs run biased ply tires because they flex easier with no steel or composite belts (such as boggers, and most swampers ect...)

Elwenil

I wish like hell I had the cash to buy them from you. I'd love to have them, unfortunately the rims and shipping make it a bit unaffordable at the moment. I'm dying to get a set of HMMWV rims for my Ramcharger, and while I would rather have the 12 bolt rims, I'd take 8 bolts if they were cheap enough, but again, even if they were free shipping would be killer from Texas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks