• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running Lights Issues Please ?????

Hey all, I thought I'd take a chance to try to explain a running light issue I've been having for a while, and after some time of working on it (a long time) I think in just about ready to try percussive maintenance haha. Okay, I'm going to try to explain this as best I can so bear with me.

First of all, since I bought my M1009, the left turn signal indicator on the dash was always solid when turning on the headlights on the running lights. And the left running light wouldn't not be on. Both bulbs are new and the sockets "seem" to be in good shape. But here is my discovery. In the pictures it can be seen that in one pair of pictures, the drivers side bulb is out, and the dash indictor is on for that side. But then, AFTER I TWIST THE BULB and twist in back in, it was fixed! However, then I turn in the left turn signal, or hazards, it goes back to not working again (running light). Also, when I was messing with it, during the process, I somehow managed to get neither to work, sometimes the problems migrated over to the other socket and whatnot. Now, more bizarrely, I actually got them both to work once, but then I turned on the dash lights, I blew fuses left and right (the same 20A fuse). The ground wgere the parking brake lever, the one by the coolant filler, and the one on the frame on the passenger side all were cleaned and are in great shape. I tested with a volt meter and I am getting voltage (from what I understand) in the right places. Just before the socket, I am getting a steady 12V on the running lights, and I am getting a flashing 12V when the dashers are on. I am beyond confused at this point so if anyone can please help that would be amazing. Also, my POSSIBLE SOLUTION is to get new sockets for left and right sides. (Already ordered, coming in this week). I am thinking that there might be some kind of malfunction in one of the sockets (probably the driver side) since sometimes the problem changes when you Jimmy the bulb. any input would be HIGHLY valued! Thank you, and sorry for the long post...

20160918_125334.jpg20160918_125358.jpg

20160918_125416.jpg20160918_125424.jpg

I agree, although I find it strange that there has not been anything that obvious, plus also I am not sure at all why the problem happens when I turn the turn signal on, and stays that way until I actually pop the bulb in and out of the socket again... Also, I am indeed using those bulbs. They have two fillaments, with two contacts on the bottom, both are fully working, new (and I actually have 2 sets and tried them all). I think they were 2057's? Amber bulbs. None the less, I know what you mean, and they are the ones! I also want to note in case if anyone asks, the rear lights work perfectly, although I do wonder if there is anything that would cause the front to malfunction. None the less though, I too think it might be the socket. The truck is overall in good shape, and all the wires are great, I would be surprised if there is something shorting deep within the harness.

Here's a pic of the socket... Seems clean, with some electric grease on there, and shows no sign on water damage or fatigue... Still gonna replace it though... Also, I am getting 1M ohm on the two wires that aren't the blue hot wire. Not sure if that's normal or not.20160918_185826.jpg

cucvrus

That socket looks good. i use a test light and check the ground. Hard to diagnose over the internet. Could be simple or a bit complicated. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks