• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running MEP-701a's parallel

coyotegray

I have a M116 trailer with two MEP-701a generators tied together with a manual switch..

While I was searching for documentation I ran across a operators manual on how to run both gens tied together with the switch but I can't find it now..

Anyone have any info..?

Thanks,
Andy.

I was a 3E052 in the Airforce Its fairly easy you have to to bring them on line one at a time and manula syn there speeds and use the Syncscope when the lights go dark you can close the breaker on the second genset.

Then just use the throttles to adjust load evenly between the two units . Its easier than I just explained

coyotegray

I was a 3E052 in the Airforce Its fairly easy you have to to bring them on line one at a time and manula syn there speeds and use the Syncscope when the lights go dark you can close the breaker on the second genset.

Then just use the throttles to adjust load evenly between the two units . Its easier than I just explained
I was in the Navy.. Do you have any pictures....? ahmm, "Diagrams".. :???:
I came across the documented procedure but can't find it now..

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Keep in mind that many parallel dual generator systems were not designed to run in parallel as a continuous combined load system, instead they were designed to provide continuous power to some application, so that they may be shut down individually for maintenance without having an interruption to the power output.

So typical operation may go something like this

Generator A is started and runs providing power

24 hours later Generator B is started, momentarily synchronized with Generator A
then generator A is taken offline and shut down for daily maintenance, oil check, etc.

24 hours later repeat with A taking the place of B.

I suspect this style of operation would be found on most MEP-701a installations when you consider the alternative that would often make more sense would be to provide power by a single MEP-002a at 5kw rather than a pair of MEP-701a's at a theoretical combined output of 6kw, especially when you consider the relatively better fuel economy per KW of the MEP-002a at full load (the 3600 rpm 1 cylinder MEP-701a is rated at .5 gph at 3kw full load, whereas the 1800 rpm 2 cylinder MEP-002a is rated somewhere around .6 gph at 5kw full load)