• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running out of fuel

readyman

On the way back from activities Saturday I ran out of diesel on the expressway about a block from the exit ramp.
Note to self - Fuel gauge needs some looking at.

Pulled over but left the fuel pump on. I looked in the tank(yes it was very empty) and saw the fuel return line squirting back into the tank for a quite a few minutes. I tried starting and it started up(?), ran a half mile to a gas station then stopped for the last time 10 feet from the pumps! Darn... Almost made it!

My question is, can the contents of the return fuel line provide enough of a fuel level rise to get the pump to pick up fuel again.
Although this is not a technique I would want to try again.

rmgill

There's quite a bit of fuel in the system. If you run out, (fuel runs to the back of the tank on a hill) it could, as it purges drain just enough back into get enough fuel to the IP and get the engine to start again.

When I hit 1/2 tank, I start looking for a fuel stop. When I hit 1/4 I get really nervous and worry about hills.

I have two tanks (110 Gal capacity) now so when I'm running long distances, I fill both up and basically use the second one as a reserve and don't run very deep into it unless I absolutely have to. On my Runs to PA from Georgia, I still stop at the Flying J at Winchester AND fort Chiswell. The Fort Chiswell stop is to fill back up, the Winchester stop is to top off before I head into PA and MD high diesel fuel tax 'heck'. Hopefully, I can just top things off while I'm up there and then head back to Georgia and stop in Winchester to get it all FULL where the fuel is cheaper.

I suppose I could add a transfer pump to Top one fuel tank off from the other. The really smart thing would be to have a valve that I could select to run the fuel either direction so if I get a hole in a tank, I can transfer to the other 'wing tank'.

Westech

CPL
Rule #2 look at rule #1. any who... short answer no. What you should do it fill her up, turn on the pump, and open the air bleed valves on top of the final fuel filters. that will get most of the air out and "prime" the main injection pump. Now I don't mean prime as its full of fuel, just get the fuel to the pump. You may still have to crank her over a tad.

Barrman

I don't remember the exact dimensions right now. But, I think the tank is something like 30" high. Which converts to 5 gallons or so for every 3 inches. The pick up for the fuel pump is somewhere between 1/4"-1" off the bottom of the tank depending on dents, the bolts being in the proper holes and such. The pick up is also in the middle of the tank almost. Driving down the road, fuel sloshing around will create wave action. You could drive a good ways on level terrain with below pickup higth fuel just because the crest of the waves are hitting the pump.

Coasting down the exit ramp pushed all the fuel to the front of your tank. The engine ran dry, you left the pump on so the wave action from you stopping got some more fuel into the system.

That is my theory anyway. The fuel in the return system had to come from the tank, so you really aren't getting any extra fuel from it.

If you were actually all the way dry and your pickup is one of the higher ones, adding 5 gallons might only get you another mile or so. Something to think about the next time you see somebody with 5 Gerry cans strapped all over his truck and you only with the one on the drivers side.

nattieleather

You were lucky in getting the engine to restart diesels don't like air in the fuel system...Rule #3...don't run out of fuel on a duce and carry that extra 5 gal can on the running board full for just such an emergency...in case you don't head rules 1 and 2.

kcimb

nattieleather said:
You were lucky in getting the engine to restart diesels don't like air in the fuel system...Rule #3...don't run out of fuel on a duce and carry that extra 5 gal can on the running board full for just such an emergency...in case you don't head rules 1 and 2.
I ran out of fuel in my diesel mercedes once...I came back the next day, put 2 gallons of diesel in it, cranked it for about 30 seconds and it started right up.

our diesel Toro ZTR's were a PAIN to get started after they ran out. They ran for several days of all-day mowing on just 13 gallons of diesel though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep a dip stick for checking fuel level just to be sure. Also check the grounding of the fuel level sending unit, it's grounded via the fuel pump. To improve the circuit, add a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks