• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust and Tire Carriers

lindsaym

Currently personalizing my M1009 (new paint job, tint, go to **** bags etc) and am taking inventory of things I need to fix in the long-term. One is rust on the floor board. There's a few spots where it's eaten through and a patch where it's still on the surface. Given it's on the floorboard, in front of the driver's seat, what would be the process for fixing that? Is it as simple as getting some patch panels put in, or would it be trickier than that?

Another question: I'm dying to get a swing-away tire rack, if nothing else than to free up some room inside! Any advice on where I could hunt one up and what is a reasonable price to pay? Thanks, guys!

scottladdy

Of course, what is "best" is situational. But the most generally accepted "best" way to repair rusty sheet metal is to cut out the rusted metal to where there is solid metal. Then cut/form a patch to weld in.

There are also structural adhesives that can be used to glue patches in place. Still have to cut away all rot, and usually have to flange the patch to get it to fit better. The adhesives I've priced are expensive. But if you don't own/have access to a welder ...

If the damage is more extreme or you prefer a fresh start you can buy stamped panels that can be welded into place. For floors they come in "drop in" and "replacement" varieties.

The nice thing about the GM Square Bodies is that even a majority of the structural bracing is available in case those are suspect as well.

Hope this helps ...

lindsaym

Yes it does! I don't know how to weld so I'd need to take it to a body shop and probably get the stamped panels. Do you have a ballpark idea of what the cost would be if I replaced the floor panel from the pedals to just behind the seat? Thanks for the info!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Currently personalizing my M1009 (new paint job, tint, go to **** bags etc) and am taking inventory of things I need to fix in the long-term. One is rust on the floor board. There's a few spots where it's eaten through and a patch where it's still on the surface. Given it's on the floorboard, in front of the driver's seat, what would be the process for fixing that? Is it as simple as getting some patch panels put in, or would it be trickier than that?

Another question: I'm dying to get a swing-away tire rack, if nothing else than to free up some room inside! Any advice on where I could hunt one up and what is a reasonable price to pay? Thanks, guys!

Mike_Pop had done a lot of nice mods to his M1009.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks