• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust Report

Vhyle

Yup... I went out earlier tonight and snapped pics of the bad rust infestations on my CUCV. I'm not entirely sure of this particular truck's history, but I'm guessing it migrated from the north. I intend on repairing these the best I can (I'm a metalworker/welder by trade), but my areas of concern are anything that involves the exterior where there is Rhino lining. Some of this looks pretty bad.

Sorry about the blur in a few of these - it gets pretty dark in my driveway. I'll get better pics in the daytime, if I get the time to do it.

pass_door_640.jpg
About a 3-4 inch section on the front of the passenger side door. Looks like surface rust. Not sure what happened to the bit of Rhino that was there. Makes me wonder if it looks like this underneath the rest of it...

rf_wheel_well_640.jpg
RF wheel well. Easily repairable.

rr_rocker_640.jpg
Inside the right side of the body, in front of the RR wheel.

rr_corner_640.jpg
Underneath the right rear section of the back. These spots look to be the worst. Side note: not sure why the PO decided to un-do the BO lights. I intend on getting them functional again.

lr_corner_640.jpg
Underneath left rear corner of the back. Ugly!

lr_rocker_640.jpg
Inside the left side, in front of the LR wheel.

lr_rocker_underneath_640.jpg
Another angle of the the left side, from the other end, looking at the LR wheel.

lf_wheel_well_640.jpg
LF wheel well - note the patch job. Probably identical to the RF (sorry about the haze; just a little cig smoke)

filler_neck_tunnel_640.jpg
Filler neck tunnel - no big deal. I can just find another one if need be, and paint it black (or even re-Rhino it if I felt so inclined).

top_left_tailgate_640.jpg
Top left of the tailgate, where the top meets the tailgate. Right side looks the same, but I reached my attachment limit.

So that's what I have to work with. I'm assuming these are common areas of rust on these tanks? My guess is that this truck did a lot of road salt slinging, since the worst spots are within tire proximity.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you don't want to hear this but, i'd drive it till the body drops off or do a tub swap. Fixing that much rust on a M1009 isn't worth it in my opinion. (especially if Rhino lined)

scottladdy

You are the one that bought that truck! Cool. I saw it online for quite a while. I liked the VFW connection.

Best of luck with the project.

wayne pick

Thanks scottladdy, I payed way too much for it. I bought it sight unseen. Engine runs fantastic, no blowby or smoke. I think it was rebuilt. The rest of it is a rust bucket. I have all the panels to fix it, but im not sure what im going to do with it.

tankie88

They use salt here.My CUCV spent it's life in Germany and they use loads of salt.Sorry haven't got no pics of the rear floor replacement.But it wasn't hard.Took a afternoon to do.New floor comes in 3 sections front and 2 rear left and right sections.I replaced the the tailpan as well.You have to salvage your seatbelt anchors and the folding seat anchorages as well from the old floor.Also i had to make 3 new floor ribs as well.While the floor was out i replaced the body mounting rubbers as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks