• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust sequence on CUCV

Mark3395

Has anybody ever sequenced the rust pattern on a CUCV as an indicator of age/maintenance. By that I mean a list of where rust breaks our first, then next, and so on. Where are the first places to inspect for rust?

Thanks for any info.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab corners, rockers, cab supports, inner front fenders, fender lips, bed rail supports, anyplace water can get stuck and not drain. Also w/s channels, floors, door bottoms.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In 1009's the most common spots are the rockers, the inner fenders under the battery trays, the inner fenders where the reinforcing panel is used to bolt them to the cab, the tailgate, and the floor pans around the support channels and the gun rack. Also look at the seam right in front of the rear seat where the rear pan bolts to the body cross-member.

CARC is great about letting rust stay concealed until it gets poked and a big chunk falls out. Fiberglass and Bondo rust repairs also allow water to sit on the metal and greatly accelerate rusting. Be especially wary of CUCV's from the salt-belt.

Here are some pics from my 1009 restoration project:

Attachments

Last edited:

2deuce

rust

I'm sure it depends where the truck has been, but out west here, they can be rust free everywhere but under the floor mats. If you find one that has been rustproofed there it can help but those mats will hold moisture until they fall through floor to the road.

Greg

papercu

rust

Check TB 43-0213, it has a complete section just for the CUCV. I didn't see it in the "Resources" section, if not there you can go to the LOGSA site and download from there. Wayne

Michael

RE: rust

Down here in the south, the only rust I have seen has been under the floor mats. There was a MWO to remove the mats, but a lot of trucks coming out still have them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks