• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-250 Shelter HMMWV trailer build M1102

CUCV_ut

A while back I recovered an S-250 shelter. I'm finally back to the project and working on it. Here's a couple pictures of the shelter when I picked it up.
20170921_164357.jpg

It had some potential but needed some exterior work.
20200403_200826.jpg
We worked on the roof and got a first coat of green paint on it.
20200403_200345.jpg
The inside has some stick on conduit that was painted around. It looks blue under the paint. There was some water leaking in the roof, but once it warms up we'll seal the roof up better.
20200403_200515.jpg
20200403_200443.jpg
They did an awesome job wiring the lights with conduit stuck on with velcro. Look just to the left of the door. Does anyone think this could have once been an opening for a rear mounted A/C unit? The small vertical one. Does anyone happen to have mounting brackets for the original A/C that goes on teh back or even the front? Our plans are to restore this and use it as a camper and ham radio shack. I wish it had some of the original racks inside, but we'll probably have to try and get it close with other commercial parts. I have a couple old military radios that weren't really used in this, but would look pretty good. Here's part two of the plan. We found an M1102 trailer last fall that we are going to install this in.
20190920_191508.jpg20190920_191426.jpg
20190920_191411.jpg
20190920_191446.jpg
Tomorrow we will be loading the shelter into the trailer with a knuckle boom crane. Hopefully it will go well, we haven't used the truck much but bought it just for moving around surplus. We'll take some pictures of the process and how it fits in the trailer. Has anyone else put their S-250 in an M-1102? Any good ideas how to secure it to the trailer? I'm wondering how accessible it would be in front of the wheel wells in the trailer, it looks like there would be room to put some deep cycle batteries or something. If anyone has any parts they are not using for the S-250 that can be shipped I would be interested in different mounting brackets, control box / panel, the power raceways, etc.

CUCV_ut

I'd been putting off moving the shelter to the HMMWV trailer but decided now would be a perfect time. It was a great example of how some people can social distance while not feeling like it's the end of the world. One of us revved up the crane, one back the trailer under the shelter, one held and maneuvered the shelter, I operated the controls, and one person to watch. All at least 6' apart. It was the first time I had used the crane / truck. I was a little nervous as the truck moved slightly under the weight. Found a couple hydraulic leaks but it performed great.
20200404_140323.jpg
20200404_143347.jpg
There's actually a ton of room around the shelter in this trailer.
20200404_153019.jpg
20200404_180513.jpg
20200404_180452.jpg
20200404_180521.jpg
Now that it's in the trailer I've got to figure out how to secure it. I was thinking about cutting a board to put between the shelter and wheel well on each side to keep it from moving side to side. I could run a cable and turn buckle from the top hoisting rings down the d-ring tie downs at the front and back. I'm not sure how stable that will be. I've gathered up a few items I want to put back in it. I've found a diesel heater, the electric heater, I have a vertical air conditioner (really need to find the bracket to mount it on the back). I'd really like to find some of those cabinets that mount on the side benches for storage. I'll post up some pictures of the parts and pieces as well of some more of the interior. If anyone has any great ways they've seen these secured please share.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks