• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-788 Shelter dolly project

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of months ago I bought a S-788 shelter from another member. He had posted his story of acquisition, etc but ultimately decided to go another route. His loss, my gain. Anyway, after a recovery from northern GA back to my place on a 16ft car trailer it's now sitting in my driveway. I wish I had photos of me moving it off my trailer, but it happened mostly in the dark and since I did it all myself I was too focused to take pics.

The gist of it is I built the dolly under the shelter, built some tracks to keep it straight while moving, then using a come-along, some ratchet straps and a pry-bar I gently wheeled it down my ramps off the trailer and onto the driveway. Pretty easy.

I thought I'd post some photos of the dolly I slapped together. 2 x 4x4"s i had on hand, 2 x 2x6"s I picked up, 4 x casters from Horrible Freight, and some misc pieces later I now have a dolly with which I can move it around the driveway.Worked out just as I had imagined.

What's next? First use might be a darkroom for some photo projects. Next up will probably be an abbreviated camper type of thing. We'll see. I've got all the racks and internal parts from it's former life as a Trojan Spirit I'll have to sell to make room... more on that later.

Attachments