• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safe Starting Fluid ?

oldshep

Does anyone know if there is a starting fluid or something similar that lubricates the the cylinder walls and is easier on a diesel than ether. I heard that wd-40 might work . My engine is an LDT-465-1D. Your input is greatly appreciated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your engine should start easily down to 10°F without any aids. Below that a properly operating flame heater (intake manifold heater) should enable you to start the vehicle. If it's really cold, a coolant and oil pan heater is needed (arctic kit) as well.
Ether can be used in small dosages while cranking (Ether kit, used on newer models).

oldshep

The truck has had the engine out for 8 months and i just wanted it to start up quick so it could get oil pressure faster.

acetomatoco

Totally the wrong thing to do.. with ether you get more compression pressure and force on engine parts due to its explosive force... By cranking with the starter you are just dragging the pistons and rods around and not hurting them. Oil pressure can come up for you if you leave the engine stop control pulled out then push it in to start... If you are paranoid about it, install a pump driven pre oiler...Me, I justs starts em up and remember that oil is circulating from the first crank and it takes time for it to get to the sending unit and to fill the filter canisters...just don't rev it up for a few seconds....

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: Safe Starting Fluid ?

cranetruck said:
Ether can be used in small dosages while cranking (Ether kit, used on newer models).
My M35A2C came out of the GL auction with an ether injection kit in place of the regular flame heater. I hadn't seen this setup before. The old spark plug hole was open when I got the truck, so I plugged it with some random spark plug that I bought at AutoZone that had the same thread size. I haven't seen the pressurized ether cannister for this kit, but then it never gets cold enough here to need a starting aid on a deuce. I wouldn't mind finding a cannister (even empty) for looks.

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To nf6x looking for canister: They are sold an many farm equipment dealers. They look a lot like a propane torch bottle. Our local AGCO dealer has them.
Regards Marti

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it hasen't leaked down and the in tank fuel pumps works. Then let the pump run for a minute and try to start it with about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. It should fire pretty fast. But i would turn it over with the engine stop pulled to let the oil pressuere come up. If you batteries are in good shape.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, I have a bottle at work, NIB, it's the shorter one, about as tall as a bottle of camp stove gas. PM me.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Regarding the ether cannister: Would the military have used off-the-shelf cannisters identical to what I'd get from an ag supplier, or would they have their own production contract with the usual (beautiful) OD paint and black lettering?

Regarding the original topic that I so thoughtlessly hijacked: I agree with the advice of:

1) running the in-tank pump for a minute or two to help ensure the low pressure side of the fuel system is primed for a quick start

2) cranking with the engine stop pulled to get some oil moving around

3) finally, starting up the engine

If you have another running MV with a 24V electrical system and a slave cable, I'd suggest using it to help prop up the batteries while you're cranking for oil pressure. Otherwise, I'd at least throw the batteries onto chargers overnight to make sure they're fully charged.

houdel

The ether start cannister is a very common item. My truck came with a ether system, I bought a spare cannister at the local auto parts store for $24. They didn't have it in stock and had to order it, had it 24 hrs later. The ether cylinders come in a two different sizes, the stock Deuce system (at least the system in my truck) is the same size as a propane cylinder, 7/8"" thread (I think, ether cylinders come in two thread sizes, I believe 1" or 7/8" thread, the stock Deuce system is the smaller and cheaper of the two sizes), x 18 oz net weight, 33 oz gross weight. DON'T try using a propane cylinder, the vaporization temperature of propane is much lower than ether and the propane won't work.

Attachments

CatMan

Starting Fluid

The ether kits provide a metered amount that is matched to engine size and has a nozzle that must to positioned correctly in the manifold.

If you insist on carrying a spare - don't keep it in the cab. A bounce on the suspension seat = hole in can= you are asleep at the wheel before you know what happened.

I'm for using good batteries, run the fuel transfer pump. and us the manifold heater as designed. Or wait for warmer weather, It's a hobby!

Cat Man

houdel

Re: Starting Fluid

CatMan said:
If you insist on carrying a spare - don't keep it in the cab. A bounce on the suspension seat = hole in can= you are asleep at the wheel before you know what happened. Cat Man
Both my Deuce, which came with a military installed ether system, and my absolutely brand new and unused, in a Hercules branded box NOS ether start system have a spare cylinder clamp which attaches to the inner LH headlamp panel.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks