• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safely Jacking a HMMWV

Tanabi

Hey there;

I have searched extensively but the signal to noise on results is really bad. My apologies if this post is duplicated elsewhere :)

I want to do the geared hub / portal oil change on my newly acquired M998. I've done all the other fluids and this is the last one. I'd also like to check the ball joints and such while I'm at it. I found a procedure for that here: http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/susp/ballcheck.html

My question is, how do I safely jack this thing up? I have a 3-ton floor jack that goes up about 20-ish inches.

* Is the 'A' support the proper jack point?
* Do I need to use a piece of wood between the jack and the vehicle?
* Looks like a jack stand should go on the frame rail -- the TM indicates where.
* Will my jack be good enough or do I need to get something else / taller?

Thanks for the answers. Any other safety or hints I would love to hear it -- I'll be honest, I'm kind of scared of doing this. Definitely one of those things that will kill you if you do it wrong :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks