• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safety Rims on M35A2

saddamsnightmare

:? Gentlemen: It seems that in Northeast Texas there are few who are in the tire businessfor trucks that are willing to change an M35A2's tires due to the two piece or safety rims on the truck. My duece is a Desert Storm veteran, and while the 9:00X20's NDTS aren't totally shot, their not too good on wet grass, snow or wet pavement. I was planning to replece them with Goodyear G177 Unisteels 1100R20 M+S 12 plys with a load range "H" rating, and single up the duals the way the Army's been doing them, but so far, in Paris, Texas - no dice. Looks like I'm up the creek if I get a flat in any case.
SO weigh in and give me your best shot, so to speak.

I remain, eminent authors and seers,
Yours Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 Swiss Unimog Troop Carrier/Cargo
1971 M35A2 KaiserJeep troop/cargo

jwaller

Any good truck tire shop will work on them. there are still thousands of trucks running down the road with them. also look for the guys in the service trucks that change tires on the side of the road.

emr

That is not a real tire shop like said above they are a car shop, Any real truck tire shop does em and fast too, they are not the most dangerous split rims ever made, they are only dangerous when filling them up, any truck tire place that does big rig road calls does em, like said above there are alot out there still on the road, Service tire in Budd lk NJ, charges 20 bucks to pull one off and put one on, plus 20 for a new tube if u want one,Watching these guys is awesome, any of them do a off and on to air in like 3 to 5 minutes each , they pull the air valve insert, pop the trim ring in about 10 seconds, pull the tube out put it on the spreader ,put the tube in and slide on rim,then puttrim ring on and in the air up saftry frame in like 3 to 5 minutes a tire , I always tip em good they are awesome, they say they are easy, oh and they will do it at my shop if i want for the same price, if they do it there are a thousand others who do it too. Randy

emr

Oh i meant to say they JUMP on the tire and brake the bead jumping around on the tire, ive been going there for 9 years , and they are always the same, it used to be 15 bucks for a off and on , but they are a real truck tire shop they dont mess around.so look around they are there. dont listen to one guy , U need to see road service trucks and guys who look like they work, a place with BIG tires laying around, NO suv tires in the bldg, or at least not in that half of the bldg, Randy

M215

Rims

A local truck tire shop breaks them down for me, about $15 per rim. Allows me to clean and repaint the rims before reassembly. I put them together myself, about 15-20 so far. Use a clip on air chuck, locking rim face down, long hose and stand clear. Getting ready for my first 11x20s, Gimpy's correct, it is a work out

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Rims

M215, I just did some 1100x20s for my wrecker. You wouldn't believe how much MORE of a pain they are. The process is the same, just more weight. My back was not happy.

cbvet

RE: Rims

Got knocked off of a truck while in VietNam. Sprained the s**t out of my shoulder. Doctor put me on "light duty".
Chief put me to work in the Tire Shop. Said fixing those big tires WAS light duty in the SeaBees!
Eric
CBVET

toddm

It is a lot of work to do this yourself, but I dismounted 16 11.00-20 tires and remounted 8 of them for my M35A2. I am lucky enough to have repaired many of this type of tire at work before, so I was pretty confident that I could do the job myself. My son and I worked for over a week, off and on to replace all seven tires on my deuce. It took about an hour per tire. I run singles so I mounted up an extra spare and put it in the bed. Hope I never have to use it because I had to use the loader to get the spare into the bed of the truck. These things are heavy!
Thanks Todd

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Todd, the first pic looks like an xl, but the second pic looks like all goodyear tires. Did ya wear out the xls?

Blythewoodjoe

Has anybody ever put 22.5 wheels with tubeless radials on their trucks. I never tried it because I liked the look of NDCC's on the 6x6. I have one rim I have been intending to mount a tire on just to see how it looks on the truck. Of course it would have to be something with a mean tread. And I assume the cost would be the biggest deterrent. Is everybody out there using surplus tires?

halftrack

Re: RE: Rims

cbvet said:
Got knocked off of a truck while in VietNam. Sprained the s**t out of my shoulder. Doctor put me on "light duty".
Chief put me to work in the Tire Shop. Said fixing those big tires WAS light duty in the SeaBees!
Eric
CBVET
The good ole days. Todays generation needs a little more of that toughness.

comdiver

RE: Re: RE: Rims

I just had 5 broken down. The guy wanted 3 sixpacks. Cool! They do make it look easy! Some of the large truck tire shops also refinish wheels. For about $25 they shotblast the wheel to white metal and then powder coat it. Many colors, but I haven't found OD yet. You could get it blasted and primed.

nickd

RE: Re: RE: Rims

I had new tubes placed in 2 tires. I do not remember what they charged but the price was the same if I took the tire off and dropped it off or if I drove the deuce in and they removed the tire. I drove the Deuce the flat tires were on the rear axle inside duals!

toddm

I liked the look of the Goodyears more and they all had pretty much all 95% tread left and yes the tires I removed were all Michelin XL's. Thanks Todd