• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Salt Lake City M1009 Recovery 03-19-2010

91W350

This one has been some time in the making... and this post will be pretty long...

I bought a M1009 from a fellow member a few months ago. I thought I had a free ride home, but it fell to the wayside. I had a free ride there, but I missed it too with a knee operation.

I made plans for a long weekend, five days and decided to go Amtrak because I always wanted to try it. Friday afternoon, my son and I took the M1008 to Harvard Nebraska and dropped me off at a friends house. It was a nasty day, cold, snowing and icy. My son took off for Salina, a big assignment for a 16 year old, but he has a pretty level head. I must admit I was pretty worried about him.... He did fine, made it home safely, then called to ask if he could take the M1008 to Junction City because his sister needed him. I told him to call when he got there and he did, good kid, more grays for Dad.

The Amtrak was scheduled into Hastings at 0147, but did not arrive until 0216 and we were gone by 0217. I tried to sleep, but that was not working. We were back on schedule at Fort Morgan, Colorado. We rolled out of Denver and headed west to Salt Lake City. If I had this to do over, I would have flown out of Kansas City, but I really wanted to take the rail through the mountains. If you get that chance, take it.

The trip through Utah was beautiful, everything west of Denver is incredible. I was surprised at the lack of military vehicles in all of the small towns. I saw a ton of neat iron from the rails. A lot of places I would like to return.

I arrived in Salt Lake City at 10:30PM, 21 hours on that train, I was shot.

My friend in Salt Lake wanted to show me the town. All I wanted was bed, but I have taken him all pver Kansas and he was wanting to return the favor, I am sure. We made a quick loop and finaly I got to crash, about 36 hours after I got out of bed.

This morning, the tour continued.... Salt Lake is a beautiful city and full of history. I had built a license plate bracket. I had to drill a couple of holes through the rectangular tube in front of the rear bumper and hung the plate. I checked the fluids, started it up and hit the road. About 2PM I rolled out of Salt Lake City, it did not take long to find myself on a long uphill grade going east on I-80.

The 6.2 is no house afire, but it held 55 to 60 without depressing he accelerator hard enough to down shift out of third. The miles just kept rolling by, my broher called and wanted to know how the trip was going. I told him the truck was running great. He wanted to know what kind of mileage I was getting, I told him I had no idea. He wanted to know how far I had gone and I told him a little over 300 miles. He said put some in! The fuel guage was still indicating a half tank.

I pulled into the Flying J at Rawlins Wyoming and put a little over 14 gallons in, 22 mpg. I called him back and told him what it was doing and he asked me if it was for sale....

We are now in Boulder with another friend. We are about 550 miles down and should be rolling on to Salina in the morning. I have a left turn signal that the indicator lights up on the dash when I turn he head lamps on and a right brake light burned out. It needs wipers, but we should be good for the 500 mile trip we have planned going home. I also saw a wet pinion seal on the rear axle.

I checked the oil twice and cannot tell that it lost any. I drove 65 to 70, except for a short run at 85 trying to catch an old black El Camino to see if it was my old car. I got close enough to see the vinyl top and the bulky left fender, it was a 70 to 72, mine was a 69.

I am pretty happy with the truck, especially that it got me here with no issues. I took a lot of photos, but I cannot transfer them to my mini from my camera, maybe tomorrow. It is closer to home, over halfway there now.

I saw a few Hemmets, a lot of Humvees and about ten tractors on civilian trucks going west on I-80. It was a really dry trip for military vehicles, considering miles driven. I did see a M-37 on I-80 parked at a museum lot. I think they use it for advertisement.

Originally I planned to do the much slower snake down old 40 through the Rockies, Berthoud Pass was forecast to get over two feet of snow, I decided to just take the shorter northern route and head home.

Last edited:

gunner01

Glad the recovery went well. Next time your in Salt Lake City give ole gunner a call and I can show you some neat MV`s out here. I also understand the grey hairs from kids

91W350

1016 miles in two days, the M1009 is home!

Thanks Gunner, I will surely have to do that!

4X4 Forever, I have several photos to process, they will start showing up shortly....

When I took my first look yesterday, it read 62,906, when I parked it behind the garage tonight, it read 63,925. I am glad to have it home! Here are some photos of my first views of the truck, you can see the mountains surrounding Salt Lake City in at least one photo... if you look really hard....

Attachments

91W350

That is a Solargizer, a solar panel to charge the batteries with. I have no idea how good they work, but I am sure somebody else here is familiar with them....

Shortly after getting out of Salt Lake City (SLC) I started east on I-80 and that is one long climb!

A few miles east of town there was a pull off parking area over looking a lake, so I pulled off and checked the truck again, then grabbed a couple of quick shots.... this is some really beautiful country!

A few miles east of the roadside park was this series of sweet red rock bluffs... I tried to keep at least a corner of the hood in so it is MV related....

Attachments

91W350

Seems like the battle was all uphill for a long time! Then up pops a Wyoming sign! 1 state down, two to go!

I just barely caught that Wyoming sign, right behind a light pole and I was running about 65.

The M1009 held 60 up that long grade without getting into the kick down switch. I was pretty happy with the way it pulled those long grades.

Attachments

91W350

Rock Springs

I wanted to stop in Rock Springs and the Green River area do a little invesitigating, but I had many miles to go and had burned most of my day in SLC. The country was stunning here!

I was surprised to run into a tunnel on I-80, I had never heard of it before. It is much shorter than the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70. I tried to get a photo inside, but traffic was coming up on my tail very quickly. I drove 65 most of Wyoming, the speed limit is 75 and I think the median speed must be in the 80's. I felt like I was somewhat of a hazard.

Attachments

91W350

Hammertime...

I saw a shiny black El Camino get on a few cars ahead of me. I could tell it was a 1968 to 1972 model and it looked like it has SS badges. I used to have a really nice 69 black with a 427 in it. I was hoping it was my old 69. I tried to catch it, but I was not riding a fast enough pony. Thanks to a couple of trucks, I got close enough to see that full driver's fender and knew it was later. Nothing like trying to blow a 6.2 800 miles or so from home. I must say, that M1009 does run good, I hated to push it that hard, but I really wanted to catch that Elky....

Attachments

91W350

As I was rolling across the southern side of Wyoming, I was really wishing I could drop south into the Rockies, I know that area is fantastic. The thought of running into 24" of snow or possibly a break down pulling snow, kept me north. There was a series of great looking mountains as I rolled east. I thought the storm had dumped a lot of snow at the base of the mountains, but like a lot of mountain views, I was far enough away that it was a little deceptive. When I got closer, the snow at the base was actually miles in front of the mountains, in the foothills.

I saw a lot of deer through here and about 50 elk. That part really helped my day! I tried to get a photo of the elk herd, but driving and trying to zoom a camera and snap a decent photo at 65 is a tough challenge. I missed the elk photo.

Shortly after this I got into a lot of truck traffic and encountered some blowing snow, it was also getting dark. I decided to put the camera down until the folling morning in Boulder.

Attachments

markmontana

Glad to see you made it out to Utah pick up your truck- and the trip went well. I was on I-80 East about the same time- on the way to pick up a truck at Ellsworth- the same one we talked about a few months ago!

91W350

I wish I had known, it sure feels good to have the added safety of a running mate.

I spent the night in Boulder and the M1009 fired right up in the morning. I hooked up with my high school locker partner and his F550 Utility custom camper rig. He was headed to Salina and I just followed him home. As we were going past an old horse barn based farm, I snapped a shot of the collapsing structures, complete with horsedrawn manure spreader in the yard. It was like looking at the 1880's again. It makes one wonder why anybody tried to farm out here is this dry and desolate country.

Attachments

91W350

We took it for a little Kanas tour today, visited a few spots that my Boulder Buddy was not familiar with. He has a motorcycle in his trailer and it is supposed to rain pretty hard tonight and tomorrow. I told him to take the Blazer "home" today, he is camped about 25 miles west of me. He sent me this photo of his rig and the M1009 along with a short note....

"Thanks for a really great day! I enjoyed all the Road Hopping we did. Discovered a lot of new places I had no idea existed. Ole Green B' looks comfortable for the night. Will catch up soon. b "

He calls it the "Green Beast" and calls it a MAN''S truck.... I really need a five ton!

He grew up here with me and moved away to college. He later became a Colorado State Trooper and is now retired. We stopped today and put in some new windshield wipers and replace the right rear marker bulb and brake light bulb. I told him I would hate for some cop to stop him for not using his turn signal. He said he would not mind that part, explaining why he was driving my truck might be a little tougher. 8)

Back to work tomorrow, I must say though, it sure feels good to have it home!

Glen

Attachments

Last edited:

steve87

Looks like it was a fun trip. wish my 1009 could go that far. I live just a little north of SLC and have done that eastbound I80 drive quite a few times. I haven't done it in my m1009 though. Even if i got it running, i bet it would break down going before i get to WY. Thanks for the pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks