• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sam Winers, akron, OH. 5/6/09

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was in Akron, and decided to stop by Sam winer's yard. It was almost closing time, and they let me wander the yard.

2-M108's. One complete, yellow. Body has some rust on it, and hitch modifications were done. Controls for the crane were stuck, looks like a hose seperated and let water in the hydraulic system. Appears to have been sitting for quite a while. Complete, only thing I saw missing was pulley block for crane. Wanted 6500 for it. The other M108 was a parts truck, looked to be missing outriggers, crane block, winch and bumper, and cab lights.

M816, M819, 3-10 ton tractors, Lots of gasser 5 ton bridge trucks, odd trailers, couple of tanks, 3 GOER tankers, oshkosh blowers, plane tugs, parts M37's, CUKW wrecker, and rear tractor for annie nuclear missile(which was in pretty good shape)

All the trucks in the back looked like they had been sitting for a long time. Saw maybe 3 multi powered 5-tons, rest were gassers, and almost no 800 series. No M35's, other than the 2 M108's. I would guess they have a bunch of parts, lots of engine cans sitting around.

Here's a bunch of pics for ya.

Dennis

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
more pics

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
more pics

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dennis, if you go back, there are a few pieces off the cab of the red M108 I need. Doubt that he will sell them and if he does, doubt that they will come off without a fight but worth a try.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoot me a PM, I may try to talk him out of 2 outriggers on the complete truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That field of M715s was over 100 deep when I was there in the 80's. They had a similar lot of M38A1's that had to be over a hundred deep!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No M715's left... Just a small pile of M37's. Lots of the small shelters, 318's, and maybe 250's, didn't get close enough to see.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tanks have been there a very long time. Just from that I'd say very expensive. If anyone but an eccentric millionaire wants one, I'd wait for the place to liquidate or fall on hard times.

M215

Glad to see they moved the Stuart tank, last time I was there it was looking real sad. Don't think the tanks are for sell

I used to visit there a couple times when seeing family in Youngstown.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good pics. Doesn't look like they have purchased any new surplus in a LONG time. Business must have been too good on the commercial side. They advertise that they have a couple of HST (high speed tractors). Did you see those anywhere?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks