• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

San Antonio recovery

Pawnshop

My buddy Rory C (M813rc) and I went down to the GL yard ar Ft. Sam Houston yesterday to recover my Deuce. We get there by 1200, topped off the fluids and gave her a general inspection and were on the road by 1300 and in Cedar Park by 1530, in all a painless trip. Rory was driving the deuce and I was driving tail position in the Astro van with the blinky "don't run me over" light going. The only "trouble" we encountered was the rainstorm at New Braunsfels and the top coming apart in Buda, but in all an easy run. I am grateful for Rory's help, not only his experience with big MV's (he commented that it was nice to drive a "little" truck instead of his 5 ton) but also his shorter legs! I discovered that until I mod the driver's seat I can't get my size 13s on the brake and clutch! Sometimes bieng 6'-3", 275lb is NOT handy.

Attachments

DanMartin

Pawnshop said:
I discovered that until I mod the driver's seat I can't get my size 13s on the brake and clutch! Sometimes bieng 6'-3", 275lb is NOT handy.
Amen brother!

I've got some HEMMT seats going in mine that should help with that. Also consider power steering so you can go with a smaller wheel (off of a 5 ton or something).

Also you can put a non-springer seat in there...I hear that helps (better have an iron butt though).

Nice truck...

RE: Re: San Antonio recovery

Truck looks good. Glad you had a safe trip.

DM the HEMMT seat is a dream. Mine came with it in and is a perfect addition. also a comfortable ride. (atleast i think so)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can safely testify that it IS a non-springer seat! Not a bad ride though.

The truck drove really nicely and is in really good shape. All we had to do was top off the fluids, and none were seriously low. Truck fired right up, all the lights worked, even the windshield wipers (and boy did we test those!). The rain did finally get the better of me vision-wise and we pulled over for about 20 minutes till the heavy stuff passed.

Having Sarge on "standby" with the 5-ton and tow bar added a nice sense of security in case we did break down along the way.
All in all, a good recovery. The Ft Sam folks are really pleasant to deal with too.

Cheers

Pawnshop

Thanks for the kind words, she really IS a keeper. I plan to fix anything that needs fixing and preserve it in the configuration it left the service in. The "P" in MVPA is my plan for this one.

My seat issue is not one of gut room, it's leg room, but I think I have it licked. I took the box seat off, added some plywood to the top of the tool box and put the bottom of the seat on top of the plywood, now I can get my hips all the way to the rear of the cab and that seems to do the trick. I drove her around the block last night with no controll issues. Keep in mind too that I have never driven anything like this before so I am learning "big, 6x6, military and slow" all at once. Thankfuly I already knew how to use a clutch so that is not in there as well!

Sarge

Suck it in!

Sam and Rory, really glad you made it back with no problems!
I sat by the phone all day waiting for the bad phone call.
No, not entirely true, I worked all day on the Gama Goat but I listened for the phone call to saddle up and go rescue you.
So, being 6' 3" and 275lbs with size 13's is not handy?
Four years ago I was 6' 5" with size 16's and 285 pounds!
I'm still 6' 5" and have size 16's BUT......
See picture below to see what Weight Watcher's did for me.
55 pounds gone!
It's also pretty hilarious to sit every week in meetings with 25 "fluffy" women, all they ever talk about is food! No, to be honest, they do teach you better habits if you are really willing to try.
I've been looking for ages for an excuse to post a nearly nekked picture of me on the internet. I finally got one, enjoy the 'Skinny Sarge' photo!
Aren't I weird?
-Sarge

Attachments

Pawnshop

RE: Suck it in!

Yes, I DO need a lot of PT, but that won't shorten my legs or give me back the 30% loss of movement from my bum hip:( The damage is done, but gutbusters still needs to be called before anything gets worse.

Thanks for bieng there for us, and I am glad we didn't see you that day! Come on over to the Pawn Shop and play with her when you get a chance, she is in the back yard.

Sam

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Suck it in!

I've been looking for ages for an excuse to post a nearly nekked picture of me on the internet.
LOL!!! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks