• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sand, Mud and other off-road issues....

Deuce-bigalo

I was just curious, as I near making a choice on which deuce to get (should be by July) what types of driving conditions are the deuces most likly to loose traction in? What about sand? Does deep or wet sand cause them to get stuck? Is mud not an issue? Do they loose traction there too?

It may be a 6x6 but does that mean that as long as your head is submerged under water while sitting in the drivers seat - will they go through anything? What about stopping or slowing in deep sand to make a 3 point turn? Aew thwy just too dang heavy?

Your expereince and word of mouth stories are appreciated!

John

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue facing any stock deuce is weight on the front tires. Typical weight of the deuce nose is around 7000# on 2 skinny tires. The nose will sink on them in a second. I've been known to back into unknown areas to see how the back does. On snow and mud with a bottom, weight in the back helps. Lower tire pressure in sand also helps with the footprint. If I were going to do some mud work I would likely put a pallet of something weighting a ton near the back of the bed. Gets a little weight off the front tires and adds a bit on the rear. Frankly, the deuce is a decent recovery platform from terra firma but in soft stuff they're not too good. Of course you can really change its ability by going to 395s anf adding a Detroit Locker or 3.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I'm repeating myself, but don't go off-road or in snow without tire chains. They make a world of difference. They'll take you through mud and snow. I have gone uphill (20% grade, and you know I measure these kind of things) in a foot of snow with chains when bare tires would be useless.
I see so many off-road events in the magazines and they talk about "mudders", "swampers" or whatever. Sometimes I get the feeling that using snow chains would be cheating that's how good they are. I don't see anybody using them. How often do you see the DOT snow plow crew airing down or using swampers? Probably never, they just put chains on, farmers do on their tractors as to log skidders and other pros in the woods.
Go for the real thing, get chains!

Deuce-bigalo

Well, we have alot of sand (err, desert) here around Phoenix and I want to take this out for a fishing trip or two. One of the places we go has some fairly deep sand (real fine almost powder cause the grains are so small) and I just thought I didn't think those 11x20's got decent enough traction in sand with as little tread as they have. Man, I would hate to air down and pop a bead on on of those babies! But wait, don't they have tubes?? Hmmmmm - I see your snow shot's MM and I don't see those that often. Good run!

John

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had mine stuck in the mud more times than i want to admit. I've aired down to 10psi with out any problems. As far as sand, i've taken it to the beach a few times with great results. Before you drive through something walk it first. I keep plenty of chain with me to help in recovery. I wrap 2 chains between the duals on the last axle and put it in reverse, using the rims for winch drums. Sometimes backing out is the only way. I've even had to bury my spare tire to have a strong enough anchor to winch from.

Monster Man

sand I'd think it would shine since those tires have SO much flotation, they'd do great. You don't need a lot of tread on sand, except maybe paddles. Ice under snow is another story though :(

M1075

If you going to be on sand, wider super singles would help. There is a good reason the Services have swtiched from the duals. They are fighting in a desert environment afterall.

Loose Deuce

From what I've seen the dang chains are almost as high priced as the tires. Why are they so expensive? I would get some if I could affor them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with Joe Trapp in North Carolina <gotam35@sc.rr.com>. He has had chains to sell at a good price.
He may be able to bring them to Aberdeen next week. Shipping is always a biggie as you can imagine.

Deuce-bigalo

It's unfortunate that you can't run offroad tires when you plan on heading out and the 11x20's when your heading to the parade!

John

RANDYLBARNES

As for chains check with your local International, Kenworth, Peterbuilt parts department. I put cam lock chains on my unimog which is fitted with 11.00-20 tires for $100.00 all the way around. This is for only 4 chains and not 6 so you would be looking at about $150.00