• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saving deeply discharged Optima 51R's

jnissen

Good luck but I’ve had very little success bringing a battery that deeply discharged back to life.

Search online as Optima has a section specifically on deeply discharged AGM batteries. Has 3 options on how to recover the batt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbisson

Good luck but I’ve had very little success bringing a battery that deeply discharged back to life.

Search online as Optima has a section specifically on deeply discharged AGM batteries. Has 3 options on how to recover the batt.

I have seen what you're referring to and am going to give it a try. I just 10 mins ago connected an Optima D1200 charger. No need to trick the charger into powering up with a parallel connected good battery. It currently says that its "conditioning" the battery and the voltage and amperage that its pushing to the battery seems to be cycling through different stages. I'll update the thread as to success or failure.

cbisson

So here's a first update. Just checked on the battery that's been charging for the past 5 hours. I took the charger off and the battery is reading 12.3 V. I'll check again in the morning to see if it holds. The concerning thing is the battery is very warm to hot. You can hold your hand on it but if it were much hotter you wouldn't be able too. I'm thinking it may be toast.

rcamacho

So here's a first update. Just checked on the battery that's been charging for the past 5 hours. I took the charger off and the battery is reading 12.3 V. I'll check again in the morning to see if it holds. The concerning thing is the battery is very warm to hot. You can hold your hand on it but if it were much hotter you wouldn't be able too. I'm thinking it may be toast.
Could be an indicator of an internal shorted cell...

FloridaAKM

If after performing the charge/rejuvenation cycle, attach a battery tester to the battery & put a load of it to see if you have a surface charge only or you have successfully brought the battery back to a serviceable level. I tried the same process on a red top battery & a 6TL, each coming from a (Different)Deuce fresh out of the military. The Optima 1200 was the charger used on all batteries, with the same result, surface charge only that fell off when a load was applied. Hope you have better luck than I did.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have used supply mode on the noco 7200 for 12-20 hours, followed by pressing and holding the mode button while in supply mode to access 'boost' mode which is IIRC 16v at 0.5 amp and then 24-30 hours to completely bring the optima back.
That is the same way I have used my 7200 in the supply mode, once I forgot about one I was doing and a week later found it fully charged and had switched over to the maintenance cycle on its own.

cbisson

I'm throwing in the towel on these 2 Optima 51R batteries. They don't / won't hold a charge. I guess sitting idle for 8+ years didn't do them any good.

Going to try a pair of Champion AGM 51R. 4 yr warranty and $50.00 off at Pep Boys.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reactions: 98G

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little trick to Tractor Supply (at least all of them around here)... buy them online, they can't ask you for a core turn in like if you bought in person. Just like picking up any other order.
I had the same experience at Batteries plus. Looked around the store, found the battery I wanted, went to their website on my phone and ordered the battery.
Seconds later the store had the order. Checked out a minute later.
No core charge :)

uniquify

Update...
Props to NOCO and their warranty!
I returned my dead G7200 a couple of weeks ago to NOCO under warranty after having it almost 2.5 years.
Just heard back from them and they are shipping me the G15000 for no extra charge!
Sounds like a good warranty!

FYI - The leads and connectors on the G15000 are larger than those on the G7200. Because of that, the accessories for the 2 chargers are not compatible without manual intervention.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks