• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

School me on M105s

91W350

I have been to Ft. Riley looking at trailers and have purchased about 15 M105s now. It seems like every round brings some different detail. We picked up three this week, while they are not as nice as some, they had some different details.

On the landing gear, we had the big single wheel and several variations of the dual dollies. I like the one with the dual dolly and the release handle that does not pivot. Just a personal thing I guess. It did not take long to learn they like to stick and a little lube goes a long ways!

Single air line vs two air lines? I take it a brake upgrade came along? Along with the upgrade came the reservoir tank and valving?

We just picked up one that has tie downs welded to the outside It is the middle trailer below. They look like they are made to be flush on the inside of the trailers, a flat cup so to speak.

The one below with the cover is a 1966 model and survived the military nice and straight, our driver dinged up the trailer with our fork lift. It has a different tail light and it also has some sort of rear facing black out light.

Of course, there are all of the variations of side boards as well. Just interesting evolution. Glen

Attachments

gunboy1656

Glad you asked all the questions, cause I was about to question things myself.

Only one you didn't ask that I had was the different body styles. Not meaning the difference between the a2's and a3's. But my 2 a2's had different bodies on them.

Attachments

91W350

Thanks to another member, the trailer behind your truck is a Pribbs body. It has inner supports inside the box as well and will be relatively new. You are talking about the extra bracing between the fender and ends of the trailer? Glen

gunboy1656

That's what I was wondering about that. Both are a 2006 rebuild.

When I was hooking my trailers up I was told the emergency lines were not needed as "they" were doing away with them.

dittle

I would use the lines if they're present, the system make not work quite right if the system is expecting air from 2 sides and only getting it from one. On my M105A2 it has the dual lines. If I only turn on the emergency line and don't open the valve for the service side the brakes won't release.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whos doing away with using the emergency air line???????????????????????

That sounds like someone talking out their rear end...

91W350

I sold one to a friend... I bought them with a partner... he sold one, mostly parts though and tires for my deuce. He is in the iron business and sees everything by the ton.

Barrman

Glen,
What are you wanting to know? I like the dual air line, dual wheel pivoting landing leg, rear stabalizer, fold in and out lift point versions myself. With the fiberglass sides and steel bow.

However, others might like other options. I would suggest you keep the straightest, rust free version with the stuff you like.

91W350

It was a curiosity thing for me. I agree on the dual lines, dual wheeled landing gear, pivoting rear leg, fiberglass side boards and steel bows. I have several of the sideboards and bows, and landing gear.

I have a really nice M105 that I was going to use for parades and hauling coolers, fishing gear etc when I go camping to keep the stink and wet out of my deuce bed. It was going to double as a parade trailer.

When that 66 came along though and was unusual compared to the rest of the trailers I have seen, I am tempted to restore and use it.

I was just wondering about the advances and what brought them about. Just seeking a little history and what the improvements accomplished or what brought the need for the improvements about. Glen

Nonotagain

Whos doing away with using the emergency air line???????????????????????

That sounds like someone talking out their rear end...
Well he would be technically correct, but the part of the story that was left out is that the M105 series trailer is being completely phased out.

The M1101 and M1102 trailers have replaced the M101 series and even those trailers are on limited life due to Uncle Sugar no longer ordering the HMWWV.

The replacement trailer for the M105 is the M1075 and I can't remember the tandem axle version # which are starting to show up in the surplus system. Those trailers have full airbrakes, no air over hydraulic.

I purchased a few of the Pribbs M105A3 trailers when they first hit the surplus market and researched everything I could find on Pribbs.

Until the M105A3 they (Pribbs) didn't make a complete trailer, only components for trailers. The trailer box is the most common part seen but there are others.

There are a lot of trailers with Pribbs on the data plate, but until the M105A3 they were just replacement boxes not the rolling stock chassis.

The was a thread on SS detailing the box changes with lifting rings,and added supports, but I don't have time to research where it's at.

jasonjc

The older M101A2 trailers (and all M105A1) have a single air line system up until somewhere around 1972. If you have two air lines you must use both or the brakes won't work correctly (air turned on to both lines)
Additionally the trailer won't move with the drain valve open (emergency air tank) either (ask me how I know).
You can tow them without any brakes if you want but that only applies to unloaded trailers. I towed mine for a year or so with my deuce before I used the brakes as it took a while to get time to go through the wheel bearings and brakes. It was always empty and was for show in parades. I made bench seats for the trailer that looked just like the bench seats in the deuce and used it for the kiddies in parades. No kids in the trailers except in the parades at less than 5 mph and it is normally illegal except for a parade setting but they sure enjoy it.
Later I got the brakes working and all was well.

jimm1009
The M101A2 are a 3/4ton trailers and never had air lines at all.

On a side note what are the sqaure holes for on the M105 beds???

The single air line trailer have 1 wheel cyclinder per wheel (same cyclinder as M35)

The dual air line trailers have 2 wheel cyclinder per wheel and are the (I think) same as on the M135/211trucks. Which makes no sense to me.

There is a PS article that shows a handle to help rasie the front wheel and a moveable ring on front to aid in hooking up the trailer. Has any one seen these??

paulfarber

Are the cat eye lights on the rear of the older trailers the same ones as on the early deuce? I want to drop the composites and go back to the early look.

gijoe

Thanks to another member, the trailer behind your truck is a Pribbs body. It has inner supports inside the box as well and will be relatively new. You are talking about the extra bracing between the fender and ends of the trailer? Glen
Wouldn't pribbs trailers be a3s? At least the one i have is made by them. I don't think i have any a2s by them, unless it was a way late contract or a
new bed installed on it? IMHO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks