• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

School me... what tool to open rear diff?

realm

Trying to check fluids in differentials. Front was easy, but what is the square tool to open the rear diff fluid filler?
It's a square thing... is it just a standard ratchet or a certain square socket size or something?
Didn't want to try with wrong thing too much and strip it.

Thank you.

--Learning

AJMBLAZER

Word of advice if it's in there firmly try and tap the 3/8" end of a 3/8" - 1/2" adapter in and then put your 1/2" ratchet on it. I usually find I can't get them loose with the 3/8" ratchets. They're usually just not long enough for me to get the needed torque on them.

LanceRobson

If a socket adapter is not a tight fit, measure it and get a piece of square key stock to fit. I get mine at the local tractor supply or Fastenal.

I usually put a few minutes of heat from the propane torch on they to lessen the chance of stripping them. Once stripped they are a major PITA to remove.

Lance

AJMBLAZER

Good advice there. I dunno what Suzuki put on my wife's drain plugs but after 6 years they won't budge. Now I need to loosen AND replace several.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
All of mine are 1/2". I have found over many years on my MV and in my job that the best way to keep from slippage or rounding it out is a GOOD fit with the ratchet. Clean out the trash or paint. A steady pull even if you use a cheater bar.2cents

Neil

jimm1009

oil level

All gearboxes were originally fill to spill and then later changed to fill it up to
where the first joint of your index finger just allows your finger tip to get wet.

Jim :smile:

jimm1009

axle filler / drain plugs

I would rather think that they are 1/2 inch square drive.
I had one like that too and I used a 1/2 drive extension and a 1/2 drive impact wrench set on low torque and pressure.
The rat-tat-tat vibration was enough to keep it seated and break it loose.

Jim