• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scrap humvee tires

kdaniels

I've seen alot of tire/rim combo's coming out from the g'ment....none going as cheap as i would like to see, makes me wonder what the customer base for this item is. Any thoughts ??

SEMPER FI !!

keith

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just everyone? Those wheels are a huge commodity for the off-road market. They end up getting cut out and re-centered for a wheel that bears a DOT stamp for road legal beadlocks.

kdaniels

Hmmmmmm....ok..... well I don't get out into the world much so I am a little behind on what is current with offroaders. But that would explain alot. Any idea if the 24 lug rims have the run-flats installed ?

SEMPER FI !!

keith

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's anyones guess as to what they have in them. Magnesium run-flats, rubber run-flats, bead lock only, or nothing at all.

6x6guy

I talked to Rodney he has the tire contract at Red River - everything he has is - going into shipping containers
and heading to Holland, to a reseller - lots of trucks over there and no sources for good used tires overseas.

kdaniels

I saw last couple of months a large number of lots coming out of Oklahoma City, some looked pretty good (90%) and some were in sad shape. The way they are wrapped it really makes a on-site inspection a must. I recently picked up a 24 lug set for my M998 with 95%+ tread. I can only assume they came off a vehicle that got salvaged.

SEMPER FI !!!

keith

DeucesWild11

One I bought from a guy had a 1" hole drilled in the sidewall, I knew that purchasing it as I wanted the rim it was on. So that one is going on my son's swing set. Any tires you purchase from GL should definitely be inspected.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All HMMWV's Come with Run Flats...THey act as Bead Locks as well as RF's.
THe Magnesium RF was ONLY used on the Early Bias Ply tire...Junk, and could actually catch fire if used for its intended purpose...Imagine Magnesium
catching fire...good luck putting that fire out. Then there was the Rubber RF's, they came in 2 pieces, the Beadlock and the RF itself, and now the only one
that is standard issue, its a 1 piece RF with Built in Beadlock. while alot of folks hate them....to me they are a no brainer to leave in...I have guys I convinced to leave them in and only to come back and thank me due to some sort of offroad carnage that the RF got them out to a same spot after blowing a tire due to sidewalll damage.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
let me add also, all the HMMWV Tires coming out of DRMO are due to HMMWV's entering into the Reset Program...All Trucks regardless get new Rim and Tire Package.
I have bought many with Brand new Rims,Tires,RF's and already Balanced from DRMO and just throw them on.

kdaniels

These I picked up were already balanced. Had the "balance OK" stickers inside the rim. I'm currently not running run flats in my MT's as I upgraded to new rims (12 bolt) and new tires (radials) when I bought my truck back in 2001. I thought the new 24 bolt rims looked great.....so a new upgrade is most welcomed.

SEMPER FI !!

keith

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THe Magnesium RF was ONLY used on the Early Bias Ply tire...Junk, and could actually catch fire if used for its intended purpose...Imagine Magnesium
catching fire...good luck putting that fire out.
Is this for real??? I have never heard this before. I've got those on my 1037, so basically don't ever run flat on them? I installed the little bag of slime back when I mounted them.

kdaniels

YES SIR !! If you run those magnesium run flats longer than the "slim" was intended to grease the inside of that tire you will over heat the tire. Once the rubber starts to burn the metal is not far behind. Magnesium is a Class D fire and is EXTREMELY hard to put out with water (which makes it burn brighter) or dry chemical.

Being old school Crash -Rescue I have seen my share of that kinda fun on the G'ment dime. Don't want it happening to my gear. Be safe and don't run a flat tire any longer than you need to get clear of your situation. Tires are cheap by comparrision.

SEMPER FI !!

keith

trukhead

I talked to Rodney he has the tire contract at Red River - everything he has is - going into shipping containers
and heading to Holland, to a reseller - lots of trucks over there and no sources for good used tires overseas.
Are you saying that there are real live M998s over there in civilian hands?

Al Harvey

let me add also, all the HMMWV Tires coming out of DRMO are due to HMMWV's entering into the Reset Program...All Trucks regardless get new Rim and Tire Package.
I have bought many with Brand new Rims,Tires,RF's and already Balanced from DRMO and just throw them on.
Also I know the NG here was getting the new uparmored HMMWVs that had D rated tires on them and they shops were having to go through and replace all the tires with E rated and then turn the D rated ones back in. If that happened in more states that could also explain more tires showing up with little wear on them if they are D rated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks