• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealant/ Gasket maker.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I'm working on a 14 bolt axle. In the past I've used Ultra copper on the axle shafts. My foggy memory recalls a better product used on Steel Soldiers for this application and oil pans and such. I can't recall the name to do a search. Anyone have any idea or suggestions? The stuff that was on there required a razor to slice the axle free.
Thanks in advance.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I've used in the past. I seem to recall a better product. Permatex has one specifically for gear oil applications that I might try.
Ditto and Bingo. There is a current relatively newer RTV specifically for Gear oil. That is what I use for axle gaskets and differential covers. Has not let me down yet.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The newest Permatex sealant I read good things about is called "the right stuff". That's the Permatex name for it. I have bought a pack of it but not gotten around to fixing my oil pan leak yet. I got product number 99070 two pack with applicator gun.

snowtrac nome

The old oem black made by gm was pretty good stuff, always seemed to be a bit stiffer than the commercial available silicone sealers. the best stuffi have used is the gm duramax grey silicone you do have to use a razorblade to get it off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The newest Permatex sealant I read good things about is called "the right stuff". That's the Permatex name for it. I have bought a pack of it but not gotten around to fixing my oil pan leak yet. I got product number 99070 two pack with applicator gun.
That's the name I couldn't recall.

The old oem black made by gm was pretty good stuff, always seemed to be a bit stiffer than the commercial available silicone sealers. the best stuffi have used is the gm duramax grey silicone you do have to use a razorblade to get it off.
GMS is what that stuff was called. Might be what was present.

snowtrac nome

ACDelco 10-2010 RTV Engine Sealant - 5.3 oz Cartridge This is the gm stuff I used, I used my last tube on my oc-12 steering diff on my snow groomer. I really need to get some more because if you don't want something to leak this stuff will seal it. Like I said it sticks better tann any other sealer I have used aside from aviation pro seal.

just me

Just remember to use very (Censored? WTF!) little silicon anything. As much as squeezes out the outside is squeezing on the inside where it can plug up oil passages and such when it comes loose.
Patience is required with Right Stuff (Works very well) and any other RTV as you need to make a thin bead, let it cure up and then assemble loosely so you don't squeeze it all out. Then when fully cured torque it down.
I much prefer Hylomar and the red Permatex jelly stuff I get from the forklift dealer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks