• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealing up a slant back with turret

mrfarb

It’s a hard life out here trying to stop a slant back from leaking. I’ve isolated 3 main areas - back hatch, turret hatch, and doors.

I’ve created temporary solutions for the rear hatch and doors, which I will rework once I’m satisfied, but the one persistent problem is the turret hatch where it hinges to fold back. Water pours in from each side. Any experienced members find a good solution for it?

Attachments

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut a piece of thin rubber sheet, using the hatch hinge as a template, and used it to externally cover the said hinge. I put sealant on the thru bolts and added rubber washers. Also added a few extra inches of weather stripping under the hinge corners. Now I will only have a few drips from the edge in even the heaviest downpours. The parts TM shows a similar rubber strip being used on one of the hatch versions (#15).

IMG_0150.jpeg

Last edited:

mrfarb

I cut a piece of thin rubber sheet, using the hatch hinge as a template, and used it to externally cover the said hinge. I put sealant on the thru bolts and added rubber washers. Also added a few extra inches of weather stripping under the hinge corners. Now I will only have a few drips from the edge in even the heaviest downpours. The parts TM shows a similar rubber strip being used on one of the hatch versions (#15).
Thanks, mine actually has that rubber strip and the hinge itself has no leak - but I like the idea of making it longer. I think my main issue is the hinge presses down on the bulb seal around the opening creating the problem. I may notch the bulb seal there and rebuild it.

And i’m aware that eliminating all the leaks is impossible, that isn’t the goal. If I could post video to show the starting point you’d laugh like I did.