• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seals and Snow

USDragoon

Here’s the story

I’m not a mechanic. I know how things work, in general. I have logged possibly over 100,000 miles in M35 series trucks. I used to be a repair parts clerk when I first went in the Army back when the clerks were assigned to line units, so I was able to get my hands greasy once in a while helping the mechanics. I ended my time as a Tanker in the M1A2.

Here’s the problem;

I did some checking on my truck and I noticed the rear axle hub, drivers side is leaking to the point where there was fluid building up on the tire rim.

My mechanic said I need to pull off the hub and put some sort of new gasket on it. Should I be concerned about replacing seals and bearings as well? If so, could someone send me an email of the stock numbers I need, and line me up with a supply house?
Fortunately, my mechanic offered the use of his shop and tools in exchange for beer.
My truck is a 1971 M35A2 W/W.

Here’s the second issue- winterization

I live way up in the mountains at 9200 feet. We get winter weather as if we were in Alaska. The day time temps can be as low as -35f. My truck is equipped with an ether start switch in the cab, and the connections are under the hood.- no ether bottle. I saw somewhere on this site that there was some sort of issue with getting the proper bottle. Has anyone been able to get the right bottle and where from?

Also, Should I get a block heater or a radiator heater? (can’t recall what the radiator heater thingy is called) I priced a block heater for the Hercules Engine that cost’s less than $40.00 from Napa.

I was reading the tech manuals about the oils needed for cold weather operation. If I change over to winter lubes, would it be OK to leave it that way in the summer? The hottest it gets up here is maybe 90 degrees for a few days in peak of summer.

I remember in Korea back in the 80’s the trucks and tracks were all decked out for the Siberian winters, but I don’t recall fluids being changed in summer.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

“Baby, I don’t know how they work; I just drive them” - from the movie Kelly’s Hero’s

Westcliffe, Colorado

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The block heater is the best. 1500 watts will do it. If you silicone a small heat pad to the pan ( about 200 watts will do it), it will also warm you oil. Have a dual connector, so when you plug one in, both are on. I run 15w40 Delo year round. the ether start won't do it. You should put enough heat on it, so the when you pull the dip stick, oil will drip off it. It is safe to start it then

Lee in Alaska

jimm1009

My l/h front wheel and the forward left rear were dong the same thing. I thought it was gear oil but the I pulled the hub, it was apparent that the wheel cylinders had started leaking. What I'm doing is installing new cylinders on the front, and taking the best of the remaining six and will reseal four of them. If I have three leaking then the other three can't be too far behind and I am repacking all the wheel bearings, installing all new inner seals, and doing a brake system adjustment too. Bad thing is that I have to replace the shoes with the wheels cylinders leaking as they are all saturated with silicone brake fluid.
O.D. Iron's web site shows pictures which really helps.
Send me an e-mail and I can try to find the parts you may need.
Also in the mean time, try to download the -20P from this site.
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

91W350

One side is left handed thread. They are very similar to a 3/4 ton, only the parts are heavier. Should take a 3 inch 8 sided socket, but a buddy has one with 6 sided nuts. Not sure why his is different. When I bought my spindle socket set, I got both in the set. Glen

Thank you! have been reading manuals and finally found the answer too. i have a question i dont see in the manuals the primary fuel filter on my truck how do i get the canister off is it the same as the sec. and final? cant get to the top nut

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks